Widening Stock GS1150 Wheels?

Elimax

Hi all:

I hope everyone is doing okay out there.

I have a question for you:  Do any of you know of a reputable place/person who can safely widen the stock GS1150 rear wheel?  I'm hoping to get my rear wheel widened to accept a 160-170 width rear tire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much!

Elimax

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies...I was referring to the width of the wheel, not the diameter of the wheel.  For instance:  The stock rear wheel takes a 130/90V17 tire, and I was considering getting the wheel widened to it could take a 160/55V17 tire, so that the rear of the bike looked more modern.

But since it seems unsafe (per bitzz) I'll leave it alone.

Elimax

Seen (a long time ago) some gsxr rims welded to shaft drive wheel hubs but who did it I don't know, anything can be done but I would expect it to be more money than it would be worth.

Why not do the wheel swap bit, cheeper and much safer. B6 or early gsxr (4.5") wheels will go in.

Edited by wraith
  • Like 2

Back in the 80's there were some guys that would cut up two Kat wheels on a big lathe and weld it all back together for a wider tire, but after say what now!? wheels became available that became the way to go.

I suppose there were less liability issues back then as well as wheel options.

53 minutes ago, wraith said:

Seen (a long time ago) some gsxr rims welded to shaft drive wheel hubs but who did it I don't know, anything can be done but I would expect it to be more money than it would be worth.

@wraithIf you're refering to certain z1300 rear wheels from way back I can confirm that you weren't seeing things, personally I think the old standard wheels with widened rims would look quite trick, after all we all try to keep our bikes different so I'm with @Elimax

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Isleoman said:

I'll agree that there are limited choices for radials in 18" dia. but for those looking Bridgestone T32  are very good sport /touring tires and available in 140 and 160 width. 

https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgestone/battlax-t32-sport-touring-tire.pfp546364.prdf

I'd try to convert to 17" 

Well according to the OP - 

For instance:  The stock rear wheel takes a 130/90V17 tire, and I was considering getting the wheel widened to it could take a 160/55V17 tire, so that the rear of the bike looked more modern.

It is a 17" already? So who is right?

3 hours ago, johnr said:

didnt the gsxr1100  slabby have a very similar spoke pattern to the efe but an inch wider rim? might that be an option to get a wider tyre but similar look onto the bike?

The 86/87 GSXR1100 had 18x4 which would work great with a 160 tire....near exact same spoke design.

The 85/87 GSXR750 had a 18x3.5, but either will go into the swingarm with no problem....might have to get a different sprocket hub though for chain alignment. (GS500)

Or check this place out

https://www.custommetalspinning.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=wheelwidening

Edited by busa1300

Modifying alloy wheels used to be a common practice, but since the advent of cheap wider oem wheels its not a common practice any more.

No problem in theory doing it, but you'll need another rear wheel to cut up and donate rim sections.  The work won't be cheap.

Concept racing gave done vw car wheels in the past, which were polished finish.

Another option is to go to someone like Taylormade. If there is material in the right place,you can get rim machined off and drill holes to mount a spun alloy rims.

Edited by dupersunc