Which is most common cooler or lines leak... Bandit 1200

BikeJake

This is odd, 

Low mileage bike... A nice one. Bought for my project. The oil cooler seems to leak lower left hand side.. I removed the rad cover typical chrome affair period accessory (I quite like it) and stone me if the rad isn't perfect. No bent fins no distortion... Its difficult to make out if the rad is leaking from the left junction and some has gone up a tiny bit does to air flow.... Or if the lines are leaking at the junction between steel and flexi.... Where most of the oil at least due to gravity had gathered... 

Question is.... Do oil rads just spring leaks or are the lines known for going at the junctions? 

I'm gonna degrease it and warm the engine tomorrow 

16 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Binned them as you don’t want oil coming out:tu

By the way did you know someone’s wrapped carpet round your exhaust xD

No no..... That's tutakarmons mummified fingers reaching up the front of the engine. :tu

Previous owner,  never my choice on this bike tbh 

• Like 1

Yeah don't worry guys 

Traditional long standing biker this end, no waxed moustaches or butchered 70s Beemers in my garage. 

Just bought the Bandit for an engine build project, just nice to hang here to get the gen on the dos and don'ts and what breaks and what doesn't with these oil cooled engines 

18 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Binned them as you don’t want oil coming out:tu

By the way did you know someone’s wrapped carpet round your exhaust xD

I was hoping i could save my cooler by cutting the cracked piece and welding an AN 8 fitting on it .

I don't see why it would leak if done properly , but i have never done this and i have no welding experience .

Should i start looking for an oil cooler then ?

Image 1 -  AN -8 (AN8 -8 JIC AN 08) Male Aluminium Weld On Fitting  Round BaseDSC02090.thumb.JPG.d487c00e30a81aacbad1888feac841da.JPG

A cost effective solution would be to junk the leaking OEM cooler and the hoses, then fit a generic 19 row AN8 cooler and build a set of hoses using the stuff available from Torques. And it will look a lot better than the OEM cooler, thus aligning with the overall remit of OSS :). A new Sino cooler isn't exactly going to break the bank and the ones I have had experience of have been of good quality too.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dezza said:

A cost effective solution would be to junk the leaking OEM cooler and the hoses, then fit a generic 19 row AN8 cooler and build a set of hoses using the stuff available from Torques. And it will look a lot better than the OEM cooler, thus aligning with the overall remit of OSS :). A new Sino cooler isn't exactly going to break the bank and the ones I have had experience of have been of good quality too.

I want to keep the curved oil cooler because its effective and add a gsxr 1000 v shaped cooler for the head( if i can fit it ) , looks will come second to me as i live in a rather warm country .

Seeing the cost of 1100 curved coolers online i think i will give it a shot , it's a shame to junk it if i can save it .

4 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Welding any oil contaminated metal, steel or aluminium is a total PITA! No matter how clean you think it is, with heat oil will boil out and ruin the weld. Not saying it 'can't' be done, its just new will be more cost effective!

I was thinking of rinsing it with solvent , use heat to dry it and plug the hole with something when it is welding time .

I need to talk to my welder i guess .

Gone through quite few of them over the years, repairs never last longer then 5 minutes, the key is to make sure the oil pipes are not putting any strain on the cooler at all, the pipe vibration and strain wrecks them very quickly.

Earls do a curved cooler too. 

Edited by jonny1bump
  • Like 1