Advice on turbo setup

I just picked up a 1992 GSXR 1100 that I'm building for the drag strip (will not be ridden on the street). Dollar for dollar, turbo seems the way to go vs all motor or NOS builds. I'm looking at the Proboost kit with the external waste gate option. I'd like to set my bike up to be around 200hp out of the gate to keep it safe (all stock motor at the moment) until I build a proper motor for the turbo. My question is, besides buying the kit, what else do I need to have this thing fully operational at the track? I don't know what I don't know. I'm concerned I'm going to drop $3600 on this kit and find out I need another $1k getting it setup to run. I've done some searching on the site but there's so much info - its a bit overwhelming. For those that have gone turbo, what else is needed? Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

Ok, forget I ever said 200hp on a stock motor. After some further research, I will build it proper from the beginning. There seems to be quite a steep learning curve moving to a turbo. I have so many questions. My ultimate target is I want to run consistent 8 second quarter mile times which I'm guessing is 225hp give or take. What about fuel delivery? I have 2 sets of carbs to choose from -  36mm and 38mm. Will factory carbs be sufficient with proper jetting? Will a Dyna 2000 ignition provide sufficient ignition adjustability? Besides the turbo kit, are there any other major pieces I need from an electronics point of view?

Edited by Builder45

Not trying to piss you off but a stock engine with some subtle mods AND fitted into a fully sorted / adapted chassis will do 8's NA. Hell, there used to be 2 stroke sub 500cc bikes that run lows 8 / high 7's in the UK. Power doesn't get you out of the hole consistently - chassis performance does. Chassis for time, HP for Speed, and in drag racing speed wins jack ! 

• Like 3
On 8/25/2022 at 8:51 PM, clivegto said:

Fit some mk1 hayabusa pistons to lower the compression & there forged so won't melt as easily or blow the ring lines to bits (makes it 1216cc). Standard rods are alright to 300hp+ & get a lockup clutch. That's all you need extra really. 

What feature of the Busa pistons lowers the CR over R pistons ?

Not that it's down to pistons alone but isn't the Busa CR higher than the GSXR 1100 ?

Edited by Joseph

Not in my experience and I have built 3 now. 1 with b12 bottom end and busa mk1 pistons. Other 2 also have B12 bottom ends but with busa con rods mk1 pistons. Busa conrods are longer so used a 2mm base plate on both. One of these motors ended up been 1215.9cc 8.83:1 & the other was 1215.9cc 7.95:1 with my humble calculations :D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Duckndive said:

And you need Gen 1 busa pistons as Gen 2 are 18mm pin not 20mm 

Yes to fit the mk1 busa pistons to the 1127 or the 1157 con rods. Busa con rods mk1 and mk2 fit the 1127 and the 1157 so mk2 busa pistons can be used so long as you use the mk2 busa rods and a 2mm base spacor plate. 

Edited by clivegto
14 hours ago, Joseph said:

To add to the turbo setup Q/A, do the Busa pistons being "lower" create any squish issues ?

Unfortunately yes they will. Any piston down the bore, will not / cannot have any beneficial squish! Whether it makes a big difference in the grand scheme is virtually impossible to quantify unless you build two engines one with and one without squish and measure output back to back! If you want any possible gain then pistons with required squish and to suit the application is a recommendation. IMO a piston with a dish and valve cut outs in the squish band, not utilising squish principle risks increased chance of detonation / uneven burn as mixture lingers around the edge / cut outs and isn't forced into the bowl. Its a take it or leave it situation.

15 hours ago, clivegto said:

Not in my experience and I have built 3 now. 1 with b12 bottom end and busa mk1 pistons. Other 2 also have B12 bottom ends but with busa con rods mk1 pistons. Busa conrods are longer so used a 2mm base plate on both. One of these motors ended up been 1215.9cc 8.83:1 & the other was 1215.9cc 7.95:1 with my humble calculations :D

Just for the record,Busa mk1 rods are 119.5, 1127 and bandit rods are 117. Spacer required is 2.5mm;)