Bandit ride height.

imago

10 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

My crystal ball predicts that you will secretly regret breaking it and buy another to build as a "sleeper". 

Unless your crystal ball is predicting me either discovering the secret to immortality or winning the lottery I think that's unlikely. I have three projects to do, and using the last one as an example that means it's going to take 30 - 40 years to finish them. :/ xD 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, imago said:

Not going to stop me stripping it of good bits for the ET though. 

That was my plan too.  Bought a stockish faired 99  1200, turned it naked and stuck some spare Renthals on it to make sure it was OK, the plan was always to use it as an ET donor, I have a 7 and an 11 ET frames and some bodywork spare.   Problem is I actually enjoy clowning about on the 12 and I’ve reluctant to break it up now, so now I’m looking for another donor bike! 

FDD9FB05-B37F-4655-A3C8-A17DECA708BC.jpeg

Edited by Tony Nitrous
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Tony Nitrous said:

That was my plan too.  Bought a stockish faired 99  1200, turned it naked and stuck some spare Renthals on it to make sure it was OK, the plan was always to use it as an ET donor, I have a 7 and an 11 ET frames and some bodywork spare.   Problem is I actually enjoy clowning about on the 12 and I’ve reluctant to break it up now, so now I’m looking for another donor bike!

I have a plan (don't we all) to avoid that happening. When the time comes I'm going to pick up a cheap sv650 for hacking about. Then strip the Bandit and get it on the shelf. (y)

2 hours ago, Joseph said:

Whats the point of faffing around putting a B12 in a GSX ?

I get if you go 1100 GSXR in an E, but the air cooled 11 compared to the bandit ?

Same output (and much cheaper to increase), lighter, alternator, easier to convert to injection.

Technically it's not actually going into a GSX, so don't worry I'm not killing an air cooled classic. :)

I bought a GS 1100 L import some time back for the engine. All the fugly bodywork will go over the hedge leaving me with a good tax/MOT exempt GS/GSX frame. I have spare ET tanks and bodywork to go on it, and I can use the Bandit engine and running gear to get me where I need to be with the project. (y)

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

nothing wrong with a standard B12 engine,  good power and fast enough on a bike with no fairing and reliable.  its not all about big power and silly speeds its about posing on a nice looking bike ;) :D 

TBH I'm more interested in the build than chucking the kitchen sink at making it go a bit faster. Adding a bit of torque or a few hp with a big bore kit or fuelling improvements is OK, but once you start into the big boy power increases you get diminishing returns for the money spent.

You've only got to look at the tiny differences between the stockers and superbikes at the TT to see how expensive fractions of a second are. Even the gap between the 600's and the litre bikes is small now.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

nothing wrong with a standard B12 engine,  good power and fast enough on a bike with no fairing and reliable.  its not all about big power and silly speeds its about posing on a nice looking bike ;) :D 

Gsx engine is a nicer looking engine by far, and also fits in the frame properly :D

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, imago said:

All the fugly bodywork will go over the *metaphorical* hedge 

7 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

Flytipper.:o

Better?

It's actually all sat on the top of racking I think. xD I doubt I'd get any takers if I put it in the freebies section.

25 minutes ago, bluedog59 said:

Freebie bits ?! What are you chucking over this metaphorical fence ?

Tank, panels, most of the chrome tat stuff is a bit crusty, and aside from being hideous the seat cover is past its best. Basically as per the example photo below I'm keeping the frame, wheels and engine. Do bare in mind that none of it is a shiny as in that photo! xD

DSC02353nbsm.thumb.jpg.95bb00eb4213d2b5f4e0f5a68dc609ba.jpg