Swinging arm options

b12

First of all hello again, I haven't posted on this forum for a while.  I've been riding a 2006 GSXR 1000, and have left my old Bandit in the garage for 8 years.  Now I'm getting a bit nostalgic and thinking of putting it back on the road.

The Bandit has a 6" rear wheel from a TL1000R (I think).  The standard 20mm axle is sleeved up to fit the 28mm ID bearings of the wheel.  I thought  a better solution may be to put a 1250 swinging arm on, which has a 28mm axle.  So I went out and bought one.  The problem is that the 1250 arm is about 60mm longer than the 1200.  I don't want lessen the wheelieing potential and soften up the suspension by using a longer arm, but I do like the look of the bigger 28mm axle though.  

Can the 1250 arm be shortened, to the same length as the 1200 (will it be expensive)?   Are there cheaper options to make the standard arm work with the 28mm axle?

20220812_125706.thumb.jpg.894ad6fdd7fdcd3d4086c7c37e3375ad.jpg

20220812_125714.jpg

Edited by b12

Welcome back xD

I think to cut and reweld the swing arm won't be cheep.

What about using a gsxr600 srad swing arm?

They are APX 510mm long from center of pivot spindle to center of the adjuster's. The only thing you will need to do (I think) will be make a sleeve for the swing arm pivot spindle to reduce it down to the b12 size.

Or to make it a bit more trick a gsxr750 srad top braced swing arm or gsxr1000 k1-3 but the 600 srad will be the cheapest 

Sounds good, thanks.   Does anyone know if it is just a case of sleeving down a GSXR 750strad/ 1000 K1-K3 swinging arm to fit the bandit swing arm pivot spindle?? Is it the same width at the pivot, the Bandit is 220mm.

I don't want to risk buying another swinging arm if it won't fit.

1 hour ago, b12 said:

The problem is that the 1250 arm is about 60mm longer than the 1200.  I don't want lessen the wheelieing potential and soften up the suspension by using a longer arm, but I do like the look of the bigger 28mm axle though.  

A 60mm longer leg is hardly the beall and endall anti wheelie device :v

• Like 1

I was more worried about softening up the suspension.  It feels noticeably softer with the longer arm on.  I like the way the bike handled before.  I wouldn't have bought the 1250 arm if I knew it was longer, I thought  it would be the same as it looked the same on foto's.  I suppose Suzuki wanted to appeal to  a more sedate customer with the water cooled bandits.  It seems to have gone from a fun parts bin special in 97 to a sensible budget option with the last generation water coolers.

@b12

When I get back on Monday I can get the 600 srad swing arm out and get some pics of sizes for you, unless someone else does it first (y)

I've got a (well at first) 600 srad swing arm in a gsx1100f then I fitted a gsxr1000k1 swing arm in it, apart from the pivot spindle being much bigger on the gsxr swing arm it went straight in.

All in my project build gsx1100f hellcat ;)

Edited by wraith
Add a bit

Just been reading on the internet.  it says that in top braced swinging arms the mounting for the dog bones is on the underside of the arm.  On the Bandit it is on the top side, are there any arms with a 28mm axle and mounting for the dog bones on the top?

Edited by b12
10 hours ago, b12 said:

Just been reading on the internet.  it says that in top braced swinging arms the mounting for the dog bones is on the underside of the arm.  On the Bandit it is on the top side, are there any arms with a 28mm axle and mounting for the dog bones on the top?

Typically when fitting a different arm, you will fit the linkage that matches it. You should find with a K1 / K2 linkage and bones that things line up ok :)

*Edit* At worst you may have to lose the center-stand and mount the linkage to those, rather than the standard mounting point on the frame, as it lowers the "front end" of the linkage by a couple of inches :)

Edited by Devilman