Smallest battery for b12

Jdeac

Hi all what's the smallest battery you can use on a b12 (probably turbo) I have a nice little battery box. But not sure if there is a battery man enough.

Dimension of box are 113mm width 68mm depth and 78mm height.

Would be good to be able to use it. As space is limited

16602288644853815962213514108034.jpg

Are your electricals all 100%? if so, go Li and you'll get huge power from a titchy battery. The oilcooled engines have a more sophisticated charging system than the neolithic air-cooled engines. If all is in good shape, using a Li battery is therefore probably much less likely to end up with the involement of the fire brigade.

• Like 1

Just remembered that I have used these in the pas for GSX/GSXR

Very good durable quality and good cranking capacity, but you have to like the Anderson clip connector system

https://www.masolise.com/batterie-de-demarrage/22-batterie-de-demarrage-lithium-cca240-12v.html

110x55x75 makes it quite small, and going by the measures you gave it should actually fit the tray you've got ?

Edited by Joseph
11 minutes ago, Jdeac said:

@Gixer1460any recommendation

I believe Yam R6's and R1's use Jel types - what size - I don't know but based on the bike, fairly small I guess?  That Lithium pack above is a pretty good find and they are ridiculously powerful for their size but factor in a dedicated charger (just in case!)

Had a check on Yuasa site - https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytz10s/?vehicle_type=motorcycle&vehicle_make=yamaha&vehicle_year=2010&vehicle_model=yzf-r6-excl-r6s&vehicle_id=31147 A bit bigger in width but shorter in height?

2 hours ago, Jdeac said:

@Josephwith good results? I guess the anderson plug could be swapped out

Yes it is a perfectly good and compact unit. I used mine daily, swapped over through my katana, gsx1100, teapot 750 and ZX12R. Thats around 5-6 years of use, through all weather and seasons, cold winter starts etc and never let me down

As with any lithium battery (and even lead batteries benefit from it), if it is cold in the morning, you need to put headlights on full beam for a minute of so, to heat up the battery and get it cranking fine

Edited by Joseph
  • 6 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 6:54 PM, Joseph said:

Just remembered that I have used these in the pas for GSX/GSXR

Very good durable quality and good cranking capacity, but you have to like the Anderson clip connector system

https://www.masolise.com/batterie-de-demarrage/22-batterie-de-demarrage-lithium-cca240-12v.html

110x55x75 makes it quite small, and going by the measures you gave it should actually fit the tray you've got ?

Thanks for the link, I might have to try one of these after a bit more research. The battery box in my martek is tiny, takes a YT7B-4 (150L x 65W x 93H) and the terminals are almost touching the bottom of the tank which is just going to end in tears.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 11:42 AM, fatblokeonbandit said:

I had an R6 gel on in the seat of me 'arris, apparently it was an LT12B-4???? according to the Tanya websiteO.o

I do remember there wasnt a lot of room and it was laid down..

FmfWtvm.jpg

Chief 

when you was running a R6 battery did you have any problems with cranking amps , 

The R6 gel battery fits my limited lay flat position for a B12 motor 

cheers Nick