Custom Air Box

Tardis

Hi chaps, just wondering if anyone had any success with a home made air box on cv carbs ?

There seems to be enough room behind the carbs on the Harris ,so I was thinking of using std carb to air box rubbers and and made to fit air box. Remember reading articles by Leon Moss ( yip I’m that old), and he was tuning big four strokes but used the carb rubber as a bell mouth .

Any info appreciated.

Why not! Make a cardboard air box in place AND that you can get out without chopping the frame up, glass it up with a few layers, cut holes for rubbers and glass in some mounting brackets - jobs a goodun. To get rid of the cardboard after its all set up, just soak in water and it'll virtually dissolve. Fitting in baffles / filters might be a head scratch time but not impossible? Course you could do it in metal but cheap and cheerful costs a lot less if it goes pete tong!

Was thinking along those lines then I have some thin sheet ally at work ...just reading some of Leon moss’s stuff again ....way ahead of his time and taken to soon with no fault of his . 

Kinda need it to work in the rain cos it always pisses down when we go for a good run . 

when i built my zed with a B12 engine i found an airbox that slid in the gap between the carbs and frame, the rubbers where not in line so cut a sheet of ally and made holes for bandit rubbers, then glued it to the box with the help if a few screws.  then its time to get the air flow right after a few road tests :S 

not a great pic of it though !!!!!!!

20180320_214544.jpg

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Tardis said:

tuning big four strokes but used the carb rubber as a bell mouth .

On a newer Suzuki I have it’s popular to change the length of the inlet trumpets into the airbox.  Stock OEM ones are quite long and help give peak power at lower rev’s, aftermarket ones are noticeably shorter, and although not making more power they do help move it higher up the rev range. Bike loses a little (not much) in the lower torque numbers but revs and pulls much harder at the top end.  

Im certainly interested in if it works the same with my older bikes. Playing with inlet lengths is on my (long) to-do list. 

• 4 weeks later...