750 dot head !

Made a big difference to my b12 engine. The only thing to look out for, is the carb height. As the DOT head has a different angle of ports that lift the carb up, only about 25mm but if putting it in a non standard frame be worth checking.

I put a pic up of the two haeds next to each other, think it was in the carb rubber thread at the top of this section ;) 

Can a stock Blandit head be skimmed to up the compression ratio without causing other problems? The dot head conversion gains seem to reside mainly in the increase in compression ratio and the racier cams of the GSXR750 j,k models. This comes at a cost of potential clearance problems due to the carbs being raised and set at a different angle to the stock Blandit 12 head. If the Blandit head can be skimmed safely, and j,k cams fitted, then wouldn't it be all the gains but none of the cost?O.o

On 8/9/2022 at 7:26 AM, Kimberkatana said:

Hi guy's fairly new here so be gentle !  Just getting into a 7/12 teapot project, I've got a standard b12 engine and a spare dot head is it worth the time to change it over ( will need cams to suit was thinking Kent fast road/track)  cheers for any help 

It'll never work ! you need to post the DOT head in the 'for sale' section really cheap and then I can buy it for my project.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Kimberkatana said:

Slightly different subject but what cam cover breather do I need to clear the frame cheers 

Which ever one fits, all the slingshot breathers should be interchangeable. If it’s going in a teapot frame, the breather should be one of the few things that won’t hit anything. Just run a hose off it and plumb it to a catch can or a filter. 

7 minutes ago, clivegto said:

The dot head breather cover is the thinnest one and the breather exists towards the back. 

Is that the same for the GSXR and the GSX-F “Dot” heads ? 

Are there any other difference’s between the two apart from the cams? 

Im always keeping an eye out for parts for projects or to squirrel away, but I’m seeing more GSX-F dot heads than GSXR ones out here. 

EDIT:  looks like they’re the same? 

https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/topic/4928-dot-head/

Edited by Tony Nitrous
11 hours ago, Dezza said:

Can a stock Blandit head be skimmed to up the compression ratio without causing other problems? The dot head conversion gains seem to reside mainly in the increase in compression ratio and the racier cams of the GSXR750 j,k models. This comes at a cost of potential clearance problems due to the carbs being raised and set at a different angle to the stock Blandit 12 head. If the Blandit head can be skimmed safely, and j,k cams fitted, then wouldn't it be all the gains but none of the cost?O.o

Yes you can skim around 1.5mm off them to get to about 11.2-1 cr. If you also intend to use the j,k or later 1100 cams, you would need to increase the valve pocket depth for both the inlets & the exhaust. I've just done this on an engine I am building.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

Which ever one fits, all the slingshot breathers should be interchangeable. If it’s going in a teapot frame, the breather should be one of the few things that won’t hit anything. Just run a hose off it and plumb it to a catch can or a filter. 

Not quite

IMG_20210123_170525579.jpg

IMG_20210123_170531212.jpg

• Like 1

Is a dot head (minus breather cover) shorter in overall height (head gasket face to breather cover face) than a B12 or GSXR 1100 head? If so, a B12 engine with dot head may have a slight clearance advantage in the breather area, even though it may still cause problems with carb clearance.

Also, has anyone found a way to use an 1100 slabby breather cover on a non-slabby head? The 1100 slabby cam cover is the slimmest cover as it doesn't have a removable breather thingy.