Hayabusa Swing arm to a '99 Bandit 12

Crazy88

Hi Everyone

I have a question that I hope all you knowledgable people will be able to help me with.

I have a ' 99 1200 Bandit, and its turning in to a bit of a project.

I like the idea of a larger rear wheel and was thinking of putting either a Hayabusa rear wheel on or adding the whole unit, swing arm/ wheel etc.

I know the idea has probably been banded about quite a bit and was wondering if there is a thread that people know of that I could read or alternatively technical advice given on possibility/pro's/con's  ease of fitting or is it going to be a complete ball ache to do?

Will look forward to reading your comments.

Cheers

• Like 1

Heres one I made 12 years ago, 6 inch rear end from a k 4 1000 I think,, the sprocket offset is the same though, 2 mm spacer under sprocket to end of spline, turned rear sprocket over and gained 2 mm, turned 5 mm off the carrier spacer and trimmed the rubbers so it moved  to starboard 5 mm, that made 9 mm to the right , chain cleared frame and just cleared the tyre, looked good but was definitely to fat as it turned slower than with 180 rear.:tu

qfakziR.jpg

4QNCxOc.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Crazy88 said:

What size tyre do you have in the 6 inch rim?, I like the idea of a 200 section if at all possible.

I have 4 bikes with 6” rears. One had a 200/50 from the factory, the others had 190/50.   All now run 190/55’s.  Only a fraction taller than a 200/50 which is taller than a 190/50 but it works well.   I’m a big fan of the S22’s in a 190/55 on 6” rims. The shape and profile means all mine tip in real well, except one that I needed to raise the rear a fraction to do it.

Bikes like the B-King used the Gen-2 Busa rear wheel, the Busa got a 190/50 and the King got a 200/50 on the same rim. It’s very common for owners of both to change to a more sporty 190/55.

I know a “200” should look like a proper big boys tyre but in reality it’s not that noticeable. I notice the improved handling more than the slightly smaller size look.

Like a lot of custom bikes, it comes down to how you want it to look over handling and speed ;)

I'm looking at putting a 6" in the gsx1157et just because, the bigger rear tyre will look much better with the size and style of the bike (I think).

You could always put a 65 or 60 profile on the front instead of the 70 to make it turn in quicker.

Also depending on tyre you use, say a Conti diamond that have a very pointy profile as standard.

So a general concensus is to go with  6inch rim but drop a size to a 190 for better turning?

As im a bit wet behind the ears with regards to all this, a Busa or TL rim 6 inch? And to clarify the best way to install?

Cheers and sorry if I sound totally dim

Edited by Crazy88