Another 750ES, restoration or resto-mod?

33 minutes ago, Motovalet said:

Latest purchase! Came with original exhausts and is pretty much all there but needs a full going over. Can’t decide whether to restore to original or, slot the spare dot head 750 slingshot motor in along with later wheels, Blandit forks etc. and fresh paint?

0E32D52C-A587-49C7-BDB7-ED6785AC3716.jpeg

You’ve already answered your own question….

For the avoidance of doubt, I mean go with the latter option.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Bit of an update….. now wrestled in the Slingshot motor, managed to make use of the two original rear engine mounts (top and bottom) but will need new front plates. Not 100% sure what headers will fit or if the engine might need tilting forwards or backwards? Pretty sure GSX750F headers will fit? Anyway it’s underway!

015A7ECC-6414-4D6A-BA1A-BAEF18B619BD.jpeg

• Like 2
On 10/4/2022 at 7:50 PM, Motovalet said:

Bugger! Carb tops foul the tank! Might just stick this motor in an old teapot frame I have instead now, a lot less work! Not really wanting to get into tank notching and the motor can’t really sit any lower in the frame? 

79E08486-7B53-4402-82E1-64096AA4625A.jpeg

3FD62D30-D6A7-4EEC-A20E-B0E0DC9EA05A.jpeg

Slingy motor fitted fine in your old blue one- so why doesn’t it fit in this one?

• 4 months later...

I'd restore the next on.  There are enough resto mods out there.  The bikes, stock, are disappearing.  You don't see them in the U.S at all.  I am constantly questioned, when stopped with a group of bikers on my '83 GS750ES, and the comments are always positive.  I've found this bike to be very forgiving, but can also get you in trouble very quick if you don't respect it. Restomods in the US bring down the value of your price, if selling, no matter how much it may improve it.  Survivors is the key.  This has noting to do if you don't care of the value of your bike. :)

12 hours ago, Suzukian said:

I'd restore the next on.  There are enough resto mods out there.  The bikes, stock, are disappearing.  You don't see them in the U.S at all.  I am constantly questioned, when stopped with a group of bikers on my '83 GS750ES, and the comments are always positive.  I've found this bike to be very forgiving, but can also get you in trouble very quick if you don't respect it. Restomods in the US bring down the value of your price, if selling, no matter how much it may improve it.  Survivors is the key.  This has noting to do if you don't care of the value of your bike. :)

But restoration is not really what this site is about. As standard, the gsx750ef is ok but a lot of beneficial improvements can be made by updating it with modern components. Future value has little to do with it, making it ride better now is what matters 

• Like 3

That is why I stated "This has nothing to do with  don't care of the value of your bike".  I also glean these pages as I would and am interested in putting a 17" front wheel on my '83 GS750ES.  The information here has been very beneficial.  I am almost done with my ZZR1200.  I ride the Suzuki, so I don't want to touch it till I have another daily rider. ;)