Oil Cooled Engine Size

1100 slabby (1052) has the smaller rear mount. The engine is a bit shorter than the other 11/12s due to it's unique cam cover, which does not have the removable breather thingy. The breather spigot is cast into the cover.

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, Dezza said:

1100 slabby (1052) has the smaller rear mount. The engine is a bit shorter than the other 11/12s due to it's unique cam cover, which does not have the removable breather thingy. The breather spigot is cast into the cover.

Any idea if the 1052 cam cover can be used on the 1127 / 1200's ? Or did they change the camchain guides and stuff too?

49 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Read ‘Frankensteins Pages’ in The Vault. All will be revealed!(y)

Sadly it does not reveal the specific titbit of info I was enquiring about :(

The valve covers are different depending on the cam chain type, and the cylinder head size.
The B6 cover only fits the B6, the B12 cover only fits the B12. The 750R-90 and 91 covers
are the same. All the 1127 and the 750R-88/89 cam covers are the same.

There is unfortunately no mention of the 1052 cam cover in relation to any other possible fitment, although B12 would seem unlikely given that 1127 covers don't fit.

40 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Hmmm. Bit of a dilemma then!

Indeed it is.  I do have a 1052 motor sitting around, and a short-stroke 750 motor which apparently has the same cover as the 1127, so perhaps I could try seeing if my 1052 cover fits the shortstroke 750. Doubt that'll happen any time soon as both motors are buried :P

Would be interesting to know though for future builds.. If the 1052 fits the 1127/750shortstroke it might help with some under-tank space on some builds using the dot head.

• Like 1

The 1052 cam cover will physical fit the B12 and 1127 but the cam chain runner on the B12 needs sorting out to fit the 1052. Not done it wit the 1127 but I would think there is enough room for the cam chain ideal sprocket set up. The 1052 cover is a magnesium alloy mix as well (y)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, clivegto said:

The 1052 cam cover will physical fit the B12 and 1127 but the cam chain runner on the B12 needs sorting out to fit the 1052. Not done it wit the 1127 but I would think there is enough room for the cam chain ideal sprocket set up. The 1052 cover is a magnesium alloy mix as well (y)

Aaah interesting stuff.. What's the actual issue / difference with the chain runner? I know the B12 uses a different chain to 1127 but I forget the specifics other than you usually have to swap cam gears if using an R head on a bandit. Also, if the 1127 and B12 covers only fit their respective models (as mentioned in the frankenstein guide) is it purely due to the chain runner being different due to the different chain type?

Edited by Devilman

@clivegtoGreatly appreciate the pics, you do us honor :D

I assume that's 1052 top and 1127 bottom? or bandit bottom?

Seems the 1052 has no chain guide at all in the cover..  Does that mean it also has a different profile to the chain gear on the crank, I would assume so?

*Edit* Nevermind, after a bit of parts fiche checking I can see the top is 1052 and the bottom is Bandit.  Seems the whole GSXR range uses the idler wheel design while the bandit uses a shoe instead.  That would indeed be very tricky to try and swap from one to the other.

Looking more at the fiche's the chains are the same from 86-92 on the GSXR's so I see no reason why the 1052 should not be able to fit all the 1127's, but makes me wonder what people do when they stick a Dot head on a bandit? 

Edited by Devilman

Bandit 1200 has a hivo cam chain 

Gsxr 1100 has a conventional chain 

So you need to use the correct chain  and guide set up for the given chain type  .The gear in the middle of the crankshaft is different between the two engine types . So if your fitting a dot head on a bandit bottom end you need to use the bandit cam shaft  sprockets and the guide that is mounted in the rocker cover .