Larger Oil Cooler EFE

I am thinking about installing a larger oil cooler on my '85 1150.  There's more traffic than ever in my area, and I don't want high temps to be a harm to Big Red. Anyone have experience (1) using a larger OEM Suzuki cooler or (2, and not my choice) using an accessory cooler? I was originally going to try an '86 GSXR cooler, but it ended up being used, of all things, on my GSXR. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Just as a note, not looking for riding instructions ("just don't ride it on hot days"), etc. Thanks!

Ride faster on hot days so as to get more air flow... oh DO NOT give riding instructions. 

I too ride in peak hour traffic and have been chasing a cooler bike.

I thought about a bigger Suzuki cooler but for a second hand one they seemed expensive and they are second hand.

I found a  supplier of cheap new aftermarket ones and of a size I wanted.

Did start with a tiny wrecker cooler.

IMG_8870.thumb.JPG.36b316f992257907741d4f1832ae0179.JPG

Then a light duty 285mm wide.

IMG_9021.thumb.JPG.5bd5e10089e9e877ee8579a89c2123cb.JPG

Now a heavy duty same width just a bit longer,

IMG_0744.thumb.JPG.d88d1074480aa5acd1ba833e92b978e9.JPG

Much cooler.

1 hour ago, Spirit said:

I am thinking about installing a larger oil cooler on my '85 1150.  There's more traffic than ever in my area, and I don't want high temps to be a harm to Big Red. Anyone have experience (1) using a larger OEM Suzuki cooler or (2, and not my choice) using an accessory cooler? I was originally going to try an '86 GSXR cooler, but it ended up being used, of all things, on my GSXR. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Just as a note, not looking for riding instructions ("just don't ride it on hot days"), etc. Thanks!

Have you actually measured the oil temperature? I know it doesn't get that hot in UK but I haven't seen a reading over 100c in traffic on my big bore katana with a 7 row cooler. That was measured at the pressure switch point.

I put a bigger 13 row cooler on mine after getting worried about oil temp, I ended up having to fit a thermostat as it wasn't getting up to temp for ages if at all or only when in traffic, overall it didn't make much difference when in traffic. Fit an oil temp guage first so you can monitor the temp you might be surprised as it might not get as hot as it seems 

Edited by dago
  • Like 2

Is this really a thing ? 

I ran a big bore Kat for many years in the UK, and yeah, it’s was a warm motor in summer but never a drama.

I have an 1100ET here now and even in Aussie summers in the city or at the drags I’ve never found it a problem, temps you’ll never see in the UK.

I Not trying to be a smart arse, genuinely interested. I’m surprised an 1135 needs it unless it’s a bit of a monster motor. 

• Like 1

Sorry if this goes to offtopic, but it´s related to previous:

I have gsx 750e, aircooled as you know, and there´s oil temperature gauge. But it´s not working.

Measured sensor, it´s giving me correct resistance, so problem is wiring or gauge itself.

But as far as I understand, I don´t miss anything, because I don´t know oil temp?

I live in Finland, somedays it may be +30C, but normally 10-20C. And I drive very easy, would say like pussycat :D

1 hour ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

Rode to work this arvo 12 deg ambient and 5 km into trip lane filtering and I was seeing 101deg onto the temp gauge.

It is mounted in the the oil gallery inlet side in the head.

I think you need to check your gauge or maybe move the sensor to a better location where it will show the temperature of the oil not the surrounding metal parts. Try putting it in the same place Suzuki did.

Mines a 1229 engine the most I've seen is 125'c this was on a 30+ day and really heavy traffic coming out of central London probably nearly ¾ of on hour slow filtering, normally see around 100/110 filtering and about 80-85 normal riding., I found it just another thing to worry about.

Mounted the sender where Suzuki did 

• Like 1

I had mounted it for comparisons to where it is now,

Oil gallery adjacent the clutch cover was atleast 20 deg cooler.

Oil gallery exhaust side of head was at.east 20 deg hotter.

Sounds like the three little bears story... and the oil gallery inlet side was just right.

Back to the OP question it seems you have alot of answers to choose from.

51 minutes ago, GSX1100dreamn said:

I had mounted it for comparisons to where it is now,

Oil gallery adjacent the clutch cover was atleast 20 deg cooler.

Oil gallery exhaust side of head was at.east 20 deg hotter.

Sounds like the three little bears story... and the oil gallery inlet side was just right.

Back to the OP question it seems you have alot of answers to choose from.

I still think it would be far better to measure the oil temperature as it leaves the sump but it's your choice.

I suppose my choice was Suzukis choice in the end I had to replicate these specifications and the inlet oil gallery was the only place spot on so yes my choice.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/826775/Suzuki-Gsf1250.html?page=197#manual

Resistance (Ω)

Temperature sensor specification

Temperature

20 °C (68 °F)

50 °C (122 °F)

80 °C (176 °F)

110 °C (230 °F)

4) Install the ECT sensor. Refer to "ECT Sensor

Removal and Installation (Page 1C-2)".

B718H11306010

Standard resistance

Approx. 2.45 kΩ

Approx. 0.811 kΩ

Approx. 0.318 kΩ

Approx. 0.142 kΩ

So if my yoshi progress 2 temperature reading matches the ECT specs needed for my EFI then yes its accurate for my purpose.

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
12 minutes ago, rodneya said:

If you are getting hot in traffic on warmer days you would be better off fitting a small fan to your existing cooler.

Yeah, as stated - a bigger oil cooler won't help in traffic because there is no additional airflow. However they do look pretty cool!

While I thank my UK brethren for their testimony, I am in the Greater New York City area, one of the ten most heavy-traffic areas in the world, and we have summers here where the air temp is 90 Fahrenheit+. I got caught in traffic that could not be avoided and the 1150 got so hot it didn't want to shift out of 1st gear. Once I got free of that, it was OK, but traffic here is not going to get lighter. In fact, the ride I was on used to take 45 minutes with no traffic now takes one hour and the outgoing leg used to be 55 minutes and now is between one hour 30 minutes and two hours. So (1) there's no room for a fan (2) traffic won't be getting lighter and (3) it has gotten heavier all around me. But I am thinking about that larger cooler that GSSX1100dreamn had mounted - what was that? PS: my 1150 even has the "high speed" oil pump gears fitted...

7 hours ago, Spirit said:

While I thank my UK brethren for their testimony, I am in the Greater New York City area, one of the ten most heavy-traffic areas in the world, and we have summers here where the air temp is 90 Fahrenheit+. I got caught in traffic that could not be avoided and the 1150 got so hot it didn't want to shift out of 1st gear. Once I got free of that, it was OK, but traffic here is not going to get lighter. In fact, the ride I was on used to take 45 minutes with no traffic now takes one hour and the outgoing leg used to be 55 minutes and now is between one hour 30 minutes and two hours. So (1) there's no room for a fan (2) traffic won't be getting lighter and (3) it has gotten heavier all around me. But I am thinking about that larger cooler that GSSX1100dreamn had mounted - what was that? PS: my 1150 even has the "high speed" oil pump gears fitted...

I'm gonna get burned for this but . . . . . . . just park the Dino and buy a Watercooled Commuter bike that won't complain, handle the traffic and it saves the 1150 for spirited weekend enjoyment! Or move somewhere else LOL!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, dago said:

That's what I've got fitted to mine you a nice bit of kit though does work out expensive when you factor in the extra lines and fittings. 

Yep but that allows to use a very big oil cooler only when needed.

The EFE can run without that postcard sized cooler as long as its moving, so a thermostatic system would be the best for what @Spiritis facing

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the folk who responded with actual info as opposed to those who (1) thought this was a joke or (2) tried to make this about them. I think I'll go with a bigger cooler, a top-end oiler since there's no practical room for a fan, which is the optimal solution. I had considered putting on an '86 GSXR cooler, actually. 

'If you can't bare the heat, don't stand in the fire' xD What you are proposing won't really address the basic problem - lack of airflow! A bigger cooler will add capacity but won't cool any / much better if standing still or with poor airflow and once you do get to decent speed it 'may' over cool the oil! Top end cooler - same airflow problem although cool oil to the head is never a bad thing.

You may not be able to fit a fan AND a big rad to the front of the engine but what about fitting a secondary rad and fan behind the engine / under the seat with the fan on a thermostatic switch & relay? You get increased oil capacity, only adds cooling when required and will not look like an oil-cooled bike! I don't have a front rad on my turbo GSXR just a std rad under the seat with an R6 fan and thermo switch in the sump - it does work!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 5:25 AM, Gixer1460 said:

I'm gonna get burned for this but . . . . . . . just park the Dino and buy a Watercooled Commuter bike that won't complain, handle the traffic and it saves the 1150 for spirited weekend enjoyment! Or move somewhere else LOL!

My TL-R gets hot enough to overheat your left leg to eating temp, so that's not the thing. Wait: you said "commuter bike". Then again, that IS  my "commuter bike".