Efe wheels

Chay

Wee question 

Although it's popular to fit bandit or gsxr wheels onto our old aircooled bikes these days was wondering if efe wheels fit on to an 1100et axle without faffing about making spacers etc

Must have been a common upgrade back in the day

Wanting to do a more period upgrade look 

A few 18" on the bay

But they are more expensive than es/efe stuff plus add discs + hub etc it ads up. Be as well doing bandit wheels again 

Already got bandit wheels on my et But im wanting to do another gsx but with more 80s stuff. 

Nothing really to do about upgrading or handling its more about the look

Hi

16" you can forget, wobbles from about 180KM/h,
We tried it in the 80s/90s,  16"sucked..
What was good, 18" PVM's, or Campagnolo's, you could get them with around 20
Then came the 18" from the first GSXR, in my opinion the breakthrough came with the 17" from the GSXR and the Bandits ..

I have in my 1100 E 17" a GSXR 3.5" front 5.5" rear 120 front 180 rear. A compromise between handling and high speed stability ,
That means in practice, much better handling than the original, and only a little wobbling from about 220KM/h. If you want more directional stability at high speed and fast highway corners, choose 18" If you want better handling in tight corners, choose 17"

The prerequisite is always that you want to talk about stability with the old tubular frames, and above all that you don't get scared if the thing wobbles at 200 km/h plus, those were mopeds for men without nerves back then   B|  B| , no pussy helpers like ABS, wheely control, traction control and whatever else there is  :P:P

if anyvody has driven a Kawa 500 mach III beyond  180 KM/h knows what I am talking about xD

cheeers

uli

What he said :L Putting a 16 inch front wheel on an old bike that originally came with an 18 or even a 19 inch wheel as stock seems like asking for trouble, even if you change the yokes to compensate for steering geometry changes. And 16 inch tyres are a bit limited too. The wheels are cheap though (for a reason).

On 7/10/2022 at 7:48 PM, Chay said:

Must have been a common upgrade back in the day

I’m not sure it ever was.

I remember folk going to wire wheels / spoked rims as it gave you the option for any choice of 16, 17, 18” rims in a wide range of widths.  Even the Kats with their futuristic styling were upgraded with wire wheels. 

After that there was swapping to GSXR stuff, early 6 spokes or then 3 spokes. 

Im not sure EF into ET’s was ever really common. Sure you’d get a 17” but it’s still pretty slim and wasn’t much of an upgrade even back in the day. 

Edited by Tony Nitrous