M unit blue

Bigkev

Good afternoon peeps,

im about to embark on wiring up an m unit blue  on my 2003 600 bandit I’m not 100 % with wiring I can’t seem to get my head round it do I take all the wiring loom out then there’s the cdi do I use all the wiring from it? Would really appreciate it if you could help me 

Picture is off the bike work in progress and wiring diagram plus one to supply power to the cdi 

thanks 

Kev 

61685804-9640-410F-AF45-8B8C5B020DF3.jpeg

0F30256E-2B46-4366-AFAE-91A5B9870C6C.jpeg

DBAE4280-FFB5-4ECD-B985-CE607F55D608.jpeg

Edited by Bigkev
Add pictures
  • Like 1

Don't you need to feed 12V from the battery into the unit then pull the wires to each item from there ?

It's a total rewire from what i've seen of them.

That said I have never used them because i don't see the point of them, seeing how simple the factory system is

You'll need to retain the ECU of course and I suppose the starter relay ?

I can help you out if you can get the instructions to me. Wiring bikes and electricity is one of the rare things i'm good at

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 4

To make the most of the M-Unit and to make it all fit neatly without looking like an octopus wrestling a scarf, a rewire unfortunately is your best bet. In the Motogadget advertising bumf, they make it looks like it cuts half the wiring out, fine if you have a minimalist setup (head/tail lights, an ecu and coils). In real world, you'll probably have just as much wires. 

Simple loom see below.....

gsxr711wiring.gif.c0361f7aa37d16f83d2f7f9c1888fd5c.thumb.gif.39a987190062b1993f7f09bfb9bb6280.gif.e7b360a228a7a606deacb32e92838586.thumb.gif.f276cc268c73a349ec4c7af9f95fa5b2.gif

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Joseph said:

Don't you need to feed 12V from the battery into the unit then pull the wires to each item from there ?

It's a total rewire from what i've seen of them.

That said I have never used them because i don't see the point of them, seeing how simple the factory system is

You'll need to retain the ECU of course and I suppose the starter relay ?

I can help you out if you can get the instructions to me. Wiring bikes and electricity is one of the rare things i'm good at

Sent you a pm buddy 

thanks 

Kev 

Wow, i've trawled through the manual, it seems intensely more complicated than the standard wiring.

Although it does feature cool options for minimalistic equipped bikes (same push button for start and kill is kinda cool among other tricks)

But looking at it, the unit tells you what input and output feeds what function.

I would start by wiring all the ouputs (lights, horn, dash lights etc) because they just need the switched 12v and a ground connection, more or less, and then deal with the input side, because the switches will need common switched 12v to feed the accessories 

Obviously fit all the stuff on the bike and take it from there

But you will need to refer to the original loom a bit in order to build this unit into the bike

• Like 2

Run a m button , all the front end wiring goes to the m button hidden in the Handel bar massively reduced wiring to the m unit one wire runs to the m unit from the m button the green wire 

you can run 1 wire to the back light 

momentry push buttons 

remote start  grain of rice in glove or fob , 

I have this to tackle on my bike plus one other thing , then I could ride it !!!

I hate wiring , I had a quote from a reputable wiring guy who wanted 1k 

5 minutes ago, Nick1216B said:

Run a m button , all the front end wiring goes to the m button hidden in the Handel bar massively reduced wiring to the m unit one wire runs to the m unit from the m button the green wire 

you can run 1 wire to the back light 

momentry push buttons 

remote start  grain of rice in glove or fob , 

I have this to tackle on my bike plus one other thing , then I could ride it !!!

I hate wiring , I had a quote from a reputable wiring guy who wanted 1k 

Got locked out an old email account I no longer use , refreshed my site name Handel , so Ello again from East of England 

helloe again 

old rides 

GSXR -k-M 

1127f

EFE hybred thing 

Now a bitsa got a project page I will see if the site trustees / overlords can transfer my project page to new account name 

Need help with wiring reaching out help 

11 hours ago, Bigkev said:

Thanks bud,

im not sure what loom wiring I need to keep and what to cut off wiring is not one of my best thing 

Start by fitting the Unit where you want it then rig up the battery ground and Ignition switch to power it. An inline fuse would be good to protect the unit from the power coming from the switch, i think the manual states that.

Then connect all your accessories to the output side of the unit, here you can cut/keep the wires from your loom to retain the OE colour coding

You can probably use the ground line from the original loom, unwrap it and lay the black/white multiwire jobbie through the bike to see whats what

Once you've done that it'll be a matter of powering all the bits via the input side of the Unit. 

But start with that and take it from there.

Unless you use the fancy expensive items that Nick mentioned, you'll hardly have fewer wires on the bike once finished

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 2
On 7/9/2022 at 6:02 PM, Wee Man said:

To make the most of the M-Unit and to make it all fit neatly without looking like an octopus wrestling a scarf, a rewire unfortunately is your best bet. In the Motogadget advertising bumf, they make it looks like it cuts half the wiring out, fine if you have a minimalist setup (head/tail lights, an ecu and coils). In real world, you'll probably have just as much wires. 

Simple loom see below.....

gsxr711wiring.gif.c0361f7aa37d16f83d2f7f9c1888fd5c.thumb.gif.39a987190062b1993f7f09bfb9bb6280.gif.e7b360a228a7a606deacb32e92838586.thumb.gif.f276cc268c73a349ec4c7af9f95fa5b2.gif

Spot on.....wat Weeman said. There a great unit for starting from scratch projects but otherwise u end up using just as much cable, the only difference is u eliminate fuse box and other small bits and can use thinner wire

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

hey guys how ya doing? im wiring in an m unit blue right now. starting from scratch.( don't ask) so far I have  the left and right hand switches taking to the m unit.the ignition switch is almost sorted. 

now the ignigtor has me all balls up.

can someone shed some light on how to wire the ignitor?

oh the controls and ecm  is from a 2005 gsxf750f .

any help would keep me looking youthful.

6 hours ago, Rijko said:

i don't know the specific ignitor you are using (looks to be the 6-wire one), but most are pretty simple.

12V and ground to power the thing, signal input from both pickups, and signal output to both coils.

11D39F59-44D7-40D8-B953-44C2E01B63AB.thumb.png.94667621680b76195f353da24c0c7447.png

this is my igniter. Can you help me get from the m unit to this igniter. Am i coming out of the m unit ignition out into the white?

thanks for your help,cheers 

Edited by skunkworks
I can't type

So it’s my 83 katana with an 1127. The bike came with a 2005 gsx750f Kat motor and wiring all from that 05 bike.

because I’m an idiot I let the smoke out of the harness. After buying 3 separate harnesses from Eblag, all as bad as each other I decided it would be cheaper and easier to start from scratch.

I have all the hand controllers doing what they are supposed to do. The igniter is the last piece of the puzzle.

1EBA9D00-5BE0-4CDE-A1CD-491D4F98BA2A.jpeg

If you can, use an 1127 CDI, or even a bandit one. That 750F CDI will have a higher red line that's not good for the 1127 cranks. No reason to keep the TPS either. The later Fs and bandits had so much extra crap on them for emissions, best to ditch all that crap for the sake of simplicity.

With an older CDI, you can start with a base diagram more like this one that posted previously.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Upshotknothole said:

If you can, use an 1127 CDI, or even a bandit one. That 750F CDI will have a higher red line that's not good for the 1127 cranks. No reason to keep the TPS either. The later Fs and bandits had so much extra crap on them for emissions, best to ditch all that crap for the sake of simplicity.

With an older CDI, you can start with a base diagram more like this one that posted previously.

well now that's cool advice, knowledge i did not have, and it simplifies things ... (y)