Bandit Turbo , airshifter question

Evening folks,  

so , after 5 years , I’ve finally got the turbo and motor in my Bandit ,  yeh, I know, just another fucking bandit turboO.o

question is,  can I use my electric over air shifter without blowing the topend off the motor ?

Motor is a fresh built 1216, wiseco turbo pistons, Arrow rods, H/D studs top and bottom.

Running Mikuni 36mil carbs, with billet tops,  and FBM plenum with retaining bars.

Borg Warner Turbo , billet impeller @ 220rwhp.

Airshift kill is set at 70ms.

Now, I remember when Rob ran Nostradamus with a turbo for a season we had issues with it blowing the carbs off, busting carb tops, or splitting intake manifolds.

im not a fan of foot shifting on the strip,  but know if I can’t find a solution to this, I’ll have the same issues.  Being on carbs, I can’t kill the fuel delivery, and hence, once the ignition cuts back in,  excess fuel in the cylinders is going to ignite.

Im not looking to go fuel injected,  it’s taken to long to get to where I am,  and I just want to finally race the bloody thing.

Thoughts, advice, experience, suggestions,  I’m all ears.  Yup,  this is my first turbo kit I’m actually using.

• Like 3

It should work just fine. At least I know plenty of people using air shifter or foot shifting with quick shifter on carb turbo bikes. If it is working correctly it shouldn't cause any backfiring on intake side. One key thing is to avoid too long kill time. Typically 50-70ms should work fine with air shifter.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1260Pete1 said:

Drop the kill time to around 40ms and you shouldn't have a problem as long as the air lines are the correct length as that's the most important thing.

That's pretty short for most boxes - usually between 60 - 70ms works well. Shorter can risk missed shifts.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

That's pretty short for most boxes - usually between 60 - 70ms works well. Shorter can risk missed shifts.

I run 30ms on most of my bikes and rarely get miss shifts, if it doesn't shift then there is normally another issue somewhere, on my busa I run 25ms and the only time It won't shift is if I get bad wheelspin.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, 1260Pete1 said:

I run 30ms on most of my bikes and rarely get miss shifts, if it doesn't shift then there is normally another issue somewhere, on my busa I run 25ms and the only time It won't shift is if I get bad wheelspin.

A rare missed shift loses a drag race, and you are back on the trailer. Better to go safe, and not miss shifts! It also depends on when your cut time is initiated. For a straight cut on shift signal, 70ms is about right. On closed loop systems with pre-cut delay you can get away with 15ms. On top of that some ratios will always require more cut time because of internal dog configuration. On early Zuke and Zeds this was always the 4-5 shift.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys,  I’ve always used a MRE electric over air system, 60ms kill. Coil kill only.

going to use the same kit now the bandit is turbo’d,  just did not want to blow the new motor because of my own ignorance running a turbo.

have had enough issues with this build , do not want to create more