Bandit 1200 engine mileage.

imago

When a Bandit 1200 engine gets up on the mileage 60+ what does the likely refresh involve? A running engine without knocks, bangs or smoke signals, just been around the block a few (hundred) times.

I have a chance of one that can be heard running but it's got 60-odd thousand on it so I'd want to pull it down before using it. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'd be letting myself in for beyond gaskets, and a clean out.

Edited by imago

I’ve had a couple that needed cam chains up around that mileage. I’ve had other bikes that went well beyond it without one but 2 of my 12’s had new cam chains. Tensioners seemed OK. Not sure why. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Some folk like them but I’m not a huge fan of the diaphragm clutches so a coil spring swap would be on my list but that’s just personal taste. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tony Nitrous said:

I’ve had a couple that needed cam chains up around that mileage. I’ve had other bikes that went well beyond it without one but 2 of my 12’s had new cam chains. Tensioners seemed OK. Not sure why. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Some folk like them but I’m not a huge fan of the diaphragm clutches so a coil spring swap would be on my list but that’s just personal taste. 

Yeah there would no doubt be a few "while I'm in there" things, but it was more about the basics really. I've had very little to do with the 1200 engine so didn't know if it was nailed on to need a re-bore for example.

I haven't ridden it, but would be able to. 

To be honest if there's nothing particular to be aware of at that mileage then it'd be a quick road test then have it apart. I'd want to check it over, it'd be easier to paint the cases, I can replace the obvious stuff like cam chain and lap the valves etc. 

It'd be going in to the 'spare' GSX frame so it won't be one I need to get back into use in a hurry. 

• Like 1

Apart from my earlier mentioned cam chains then….

My early one went through a LOT of nitrous and spent a lot of time at the strip, it was eventually returned to near stock and showed no ill effects. I have one sat here now that’s similar mileage to yours (no recorded history with it) and the motors fine. 

There’s nothing that springs to mind as “high risk” area. They are pretty sturdy and a generally tough lump from my experience that can suffer from normal wear or neglect but nothing really Bandit specific. 

As others have said it’s nice to be able to run them through the gears to test and it’s the perfect time for cams, cam chains, Dot heads, clutches etc whilst it’s in bits but for me there’s no real Red Flag areas for that engine. 

• Like 1

OK well that's not going to happen. The oil looked like it hadn't been changed since it left the dealership. The gearbox has at least one bearing singing a protest song and the clutch was slipping. 

O.o A hard no, who knows what other horrors are lurking. A refresh is one thing, starting from scratch would be an expensive game. 

• Like 1

recently bought a 1200 engine jumping out of 2nd gear, dogs worn, and a bottom end with allegedly good gear box for £300 the pair. The cost for swopping gear boxes is all time, hardly and parts needed except a clutch nut and cover gaskets, it was worth a go as IF i ever get the time to do it, the complete engine will be worth upwards of 400-500 quid and the cases with a good crank aonther couple of hundred???O.o

Thats of course if nother else is shot when i pull them apart..:tu

• Like 2

It all depends on the price. They can be had for not a lot of money if you are not in a rush. I just picked one up on Eblag for £210 with history & around 40k miles. The oil return pipes were leaking due to corrosion which is why the bike was scrapped. I bought one last year for £135 with unknown history on Eblag again & after stripping it, it seems very clean inside with no bore wear but a little crank scoring. A replacement perfect crank was £25 delivered!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, coombehouse said:

It all depends on the price. They can be had for not a lot of money if you are not in a rush. I just picked one up on Eblag for £210 with history & around 40k miles. The oil return pipes were leaking due to corrosion which is why the bike was scrapped. I bought one last year for £135 with unknown history on Eblag again & after stripping it, it seems very clean inside with no bore wear but a little crank scoring. A replacement perfect crank was £25 delivered!!!

I’m very envious. I’m not seeing those prices or availability here in Qld, AU. 

If you search in Europe you can still find the older stuff for decent / OSS money,

Last week i missed out on a running EFE for 850. Guy needed it gone out of his shed but couldn't wait my drive time ( 450 km from the Netherlands to Germany takes time)

In Germany there are about 4 complete EFE advertised around the 2000 € ( some 1700, some 2400.)

Also Germany 750 or 1100 katana , some with a Speer rear, some with Resincourse all around the 2500 €

Import should not be a hassle

• Like 2