1983 GS650GL parts compatibility

Hello all, I'm new to the forum here & have a few questions about parts compatibility on my 1983 gs650gl. First, my speedometer is broken & I'm in need of a replacement. Are there any other models that use a speedo with the same dimensions, mounting points & cable ends? Second, I work 2nd shift so I'm coming home in the dark & would like a new headlight. Are there any led light assemblies that are a direct fit into the headlight bucket? Finally, I'd like to get a larger capacity fuel tank, are there any other models that would be a direct replacement/swap?

Welcome to OSS.

Don't know if they will direct fit but the gs550/750/850 will all have the same Speedo cable end.

Tank, all the bigger tanks are longer, so not a direct swap 

LED headlight, Jeep ones fit with a small tweek of the inner headlight rim.

7 minutes ago, wraith said:

Welcome to OSS.

Don't know if they will direct fit but the gs550/750/850 will all have the same Speedo cable end.

Tank, all the bigger tanks are longer, so not a direct swap 

LED headlight, Jeep ones fit with a small tweek of the inner headlight rim.

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so for a speedo, most of the used ones I've seen advertised on Eblag from different Suzukis of the same vintage look identical & of similar size, so I'll see what I can find there. Guess I'm just stuck filling the tank up every day or so. So a 7" headlight fits, great to know, thank you so much!

If it's just the speedometer and not the entire gage cluster, most early 80's GS models should swap out.  I'm looking at a GS650GL frame.  The frame is drilled just forward of the front tank mounts for an alternate mount location.  A larger tank off some other GS model lines up nicely on that location.  If you have access to a welder, you could cut the old forward tank mounts and weld in new ones, then fit a larger tank.  

Brighter light: the stock light bulb has an equivalent automotive size that is very common.  Auto parts stores will have brighter options.

1 hour ago, Poldark said:

If it's just the speedometer and not the entire gage cluster, most early 80's GS models should swap out.  I'm looking at a GS650GL frame.  The frame is drilled just forward of the front tank mounts for an alternate mount location.  A larger tank off some other GS model lines up nicely on that location.  If you have access to a welder, you could cut the old forward tank mounts and weld in new ones, then fit a larger tank.  

Brighter light: the stock light bulb has an equivalent automotive size that is very common.  Auto parts stores will have brighter options.

Good to know, thanks! I'll be ordering a new (to me) speedo tonight. To adjust the mileage just chuck the other end of the speedometer cable?

Maybe I'll look into fitting a larger tank over the winter this year. 

For the headlight it's not just the brightness of the light but the beam pattern as well. Yes, I could get a silverstar light & put in, but if the beam pattern isn't great the advantages of a brighter bulb I feel would be minimal. I picked up an 8" light bar for $45 that I'm working on mounting. I'll see how that works for now.