Cam End Coolers / Links?

8 minutes ago, wraith said:

The ones that just go from one cam to the other are more just for show. So may say it helps the oil go to each side but I'm not 100% on that myself.

On a standard motor not really needed but they look nice.

That was the impression I got, without have even taken the top end apart. I'm building with a gas flowed head Kent cams flat slides aiming for North of 150 bhp, I'm getting the idea a bigger and better oil rad would be a good idea. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Dezza said:

Now tend to be regarded as a 1990s streetfarter cliche, in the same mould as knuckleduster shaped heel plates, old simpson bandits stuck where the headlight should be,  and 916 seats mounted at a silly angle :).

yep just like the GSXR fighter i built in the 90's  O.o  only their for show :$

ps, you forgot the twin headlights :D

003.JPG

Edited by TonyGee
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, BikeJake said:

That was the impression I got, without have even taken the top end apart. I'm building with a gas flowed head Kent cams flat slides aiming for North of 150 bhp, I'm getting the idea a bigger and better oil rad would be a good idea. 

Separate cooler on the cylinder head circuit is a must.

8 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

Separate cooler on the cylinder head circuit is a must.

It does feel like as if the more power I squeeze out of it the more the head will be pressed.. I see a A LOT of cams being sold on the bay that look as if the bearing surfaces have been cooked they are discoloured in caramel. Can't be right. 

Two types of top end coolers to look at, 

1. The type that picks the oil up from the oil way under the ATU cover.

2. The type that picks the oil from the oil way from the cam cover.

Maybe look at putting a extra (small) cooler in fed from the two oil lines at the rear of the barrels going upto the cam cover.

You need the type that plumbs into the cooling circuit that goes up the back of the block to the cam cover.  These feed oil to a bath around the combustion chambers and inlet tracts.  With out this you very quickly loose performance.    

Cams wear because people don't check the valve clearances or change the oil often enough.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Think of a single lane, 1, that splits into two lanes, 2 and 3. Lane 2, for example, gets blocked but up ahead there's another lane that connects lane 2 and 3 to keep the traffic flowing to lane 2 destination and lane 3 destination. It doesn't provide any 'extra' oiling. It's for show or insurance I guess

20 minutes ago, Spirit said:

So all those drag race motors with the three-way setup are wrong? Wow, did not see that coming!

The drag race motors more than likely are using big blocks which cut into the top end oiling gallery hence the external oil line is required to supply oil to the camshafts

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tony Nitrous said:

External oil lines with a feed from the bottom end are quite different from “cam to cam” (which they aren’t) links just across the head. 

This or similar was on the old OSS.

https://www.customfighters.com/threads/uk-lees-how-to-make-bandit-gsxr-cam-links.42930/

Should also mention that with the external oiling kit, somewhere in the take off, a jet like the one in the upper case needs to be introduced to limit the amount of oil being pumped up to the valve train which may lead to starving the crank of oil. I've never done it and not sure how people achieve that

Its pretty difficult to starve an oil boiler of oil pressure whatever you do - the pump pressure and volume is about twice what engine requires, so most gets bled off and returned to sump (maybe why oil overheating can occur?) via the pressure relief valves. IF you use a big block that cuts the std oil gallery you MUST supply pressurised oil to BOTH ends of the head and ideally from BOTH ends of the main gallery (not easy to achieve!) Only other reason for external lines is to minimise oil heating via the stud hole risers - if that is an issue, then a bigger cooler would be a better idea to lower the overall engine temp. IMO. :tu