Bandit 1200 oil cooler - cerakote?

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Hi all, I want to tidy up the oil cooler and am also getting some bits cerakoted.

would you cerakote an oil cooler? I know it’s basically  a paint but wondering if it’s properties would seal in the heat which isn’t something you want to do…

thoughts? 

I'd seriously revise that thought! As you say the coating is intended to keep heat in, not radiate it! Also the application temperature may damage the solder joints of the cooler. There may be better suited coatings but your coater may be the best person to ask. Even a powder coat could compromise heat rejection!

Isn't cerakote a really thin layer of indistructable coating suitable for almost anything, including engine parts? If so my guess is it would work well on an oil cooler. However, if the oil cooler is aftermarket it would probably be cheaper to buy a new cooler than tart-up a tatty cooler via vapour blasting and then cerakote.

39 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Yea…. Just as I thought… will get him to gently vapour blast it and paint it with something…

chz 

Vapor blasting is not a good start for paint as it seals the surface and leaves it very smooth. Rather get it soda blasted.

18 hours ago, Dezza said:

Isn't cerakote a really thin layer of indistructable coating suitable for almost anything, including engine parts? If so my guess is it would work well on an oil cooler. However, if the oil cooler is aftermarket it would probably be cheaper to buy a new cooler than tart-up a tatty cooler via vapour blasting and then cerakote.

The term Cerakote covers a range of products / finishes but generally all are ceramic based so very hard wearing (like modern enamelling) and hi temp resistant - https://www.cerakote.com/cerakote-vs-other-coatings?to=cerakoteVsHighTemp As said there maybe a better coating designed to shed heat rather than retain it - lots of Cerakote applied to exhaust manifolds and turbo pipework to improve performance and reduce close proximity heating / under bonnet heat (in cars obvs). And like enamel it can chip easily - think stone chips?