Oil out of bov

Hi all I've noticed a little oil starting to come out of the bov. And looking at the turbo after my last round yhe centre housing looks to have had a little oil weep on it. Carge pipe was wet around the bov. this has been cleaned off

Is it rebuild time??

16552139746849181468891326901394.jpg

165521400961341604490906659647.jpg

What engine (i'm guessing oil boiler?) and do you have a oil feed restriction? The oiler engines make waaaaaay more oil pressure than is healthy for most turbo bearings - BB ones especially! A restriction that holds pressure down to about 30psi should be all the bearings need and avoid a rebuild?

Ask Dave then! He builds good stuff but maybe 'forgot' to add a restriction? If you are seeing mist at the BOV - Imagine how much is inside the IC and other pipework!

Or the turbo IS actually FUBAR ........... still what's another couple of £100's when you've already spent £000's LOL! Nice ET BTW!

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled the cooler off today after a meeting on sat. 1st pic is intercooler outlet. Ran bike with cooler off. Rev up a little no oil coming from compressor side of turbo. (I know it's not doing any work like this)

IMG-20220711-WA0002.jpeg

1657538389439533131415324257384.jpg

Edited by Jdeac

Before fitting a scavenger pump, I had this issue. Turbo was a tad too low and oil was seeping past the seal filling the compressor housing. Once running it basically pumped it all the way to the plenum. Cleaned it all out, fitted the scavenge pump and alls been good since. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I replaced the turbo and it fixed my issue. But I also think a restrictor is needed, at least for the Shanghai spinners off of Eblag. Too much seepage from pressure.  

Also.. why is all the oil seeping through turbos red and not amber? I've noticed it 3 times now.

• Like 1