Fuel tap issues?

Was having trouble getting the Efe to start and eventually found the inline filter was strangling it. 

However in my efforts to find said issue, i used clear hose from the tap. Once i removed filter, the flow was still poor.

On Prime/On/Res i got nothing, (I know 2 of 3 positions are nothing with vac taps) engine running the Res/On was enough to pull  a small stream through, but not enough to fill the 8mm bore hose up.

Time for a rebuild kit do you think, or a whole new tap?

Having taken tap off, stripped & U/S cleaned, then rebuilt with a new kit it has to be said it's only marginally better.

Fuel flows down pipe fine on prime, but engine pops & bangs with fuel starvation on the other positions.

This is all before i even get it off ramp & under load!

Having done the above, could it be the vac hose/carbs are not pulling the vac open enough?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Michaelheyes said:

I’m having problems with fuel coming out of a breather pipe on the right side carb. No matter what position the fuel tap is in it keep flowing with engine off or on.. is this a new fuel tap required ?1978 GS1000

Easy one that, float has stuck open.

Just tap bowls with small mallet or screwdriver head to hopefully free it.

If not, carbs off & strip down the bowls ;) 

On 6/22/2022 at 8:58 AM, CockneyRick said:

Easy one that, float has stuck open.

Just tap bowls with small mallet or screwdriver head to hopefully free it.

If not, carbs off & strip down the bowls ;) 

If been told to change the float bowl valve and hopefully that will sort it! 
it’s never had a vacuum pipe fitted to the fuel tap, would this be a problem? And if so we’re does it pick the vac up from to connect to tap?

I'm not sure of the exact fuel tap you have there but I believe the vacuum operated Suzuki ones use the same principal.

If the taps are repeatedly turned to prime and back, the inbuilt ramp that pushes the needle to allow fuel to flow, wears out. It's only soft cast alloy and it's actually difficult to even notice it's worn. Happened to me and I almost went insane before I figured it out. 

The correct way to turn the gsxr taps onto prime is to push and turn at the same time. This may apply to yours also

Try turning it to prime then pushing it in to see if it flows

Edited by george 1100