Sprocket cover

Hi there, new here, my name is ferg and i've a 2000 k1 bandit.  Been changing the chain and sprockets amongst other consumables all good, however when trying to fit the sprocket cover again it won't seat properly.  If I remove the clutch plunger it fits perfectly so this is obviously obstructing the refit.  My question if anyone can help is why would the plunger not be in far enough to allow the casing on?  Or how can you adjust it to allow the refit.

Cheers ferg 

You've most probably nocked the clutch leaver without knowing.

Take the cover off the clutch master cylinder (on handle bar) push the clutch slave cylinder piston in slowly, it should then fit back on the bike. Pump the clutch leaver a cupple of times when the side cover is back on till you feel the pressure come back, refit the cover/lid and away you go.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wraith said:

Take the cover off the clutch master cylinder (on handle bar) push the clutch slave cylinder piston in slowly, it should then fit back on the bike. Pump the clutch leaver a cupple of times when the side cover is back on till you feel the pressure come back, refit the cover/lid and away you go.

That's brilliant thanks very much for that. I will have look tomorrow at that.

Cheers ferg 

On 6/3/2022 at 8:47 PM, wraith said:

Hi there, finally got a chance to try again. Pulled the leaver in and heard a pop, then fluid came running out of the slave.  Been sitting since October so maybe it was partly seized or something.  Sent off for a repair kit anyway. 

7 hours ago, Ferg777 said:

Hi there, finally got a chance to try again. Pulled the leaver in and heard a pop, then fluid came running out of the slave.  Been sitting since October so maybe it was partly seized or something.  Sent off for a repair kit anyway. 

Had you refitted the sprocket cover to the bike prior to pulling the lever again? :/:D

Edited by Devilman
On 6/6/2022 at 1:30 PM, Devilman said:

Had you refitted the sprocket cover to the bike prior to pulling the lever again? :/:D

No I haven't.  Am thinking that something has seized or something as I changed the fluid last year but the fluid that came up into the master cylinder was black after that.  

3 hours ago, Ferg777 said:

No I haven't.  Am thinking that something has seized or something as I changed the fluid last year but the fluid that came up into the master cylinder was black after that.  

If you pulled on the clutch lever while the sprocket cover was not attached to the bike, you have probably popped the piston out of the clutch slave cylinder.

They are just like the pistons in a brake caliper and likewise if you were to pull the brake lever without the calipers on the rotors, you can cause the pistons to pop out or get jammed. I suspect this is the cause of your new leak :)

Devilmans right! So ... loosen the bleed nipple. Clean, lubricate the piston with fresh fluid, and re-insert the piston. Push it right back. You could, to minimise mess, put a bleed pipe on the nipple, other end into a jar, to catch the fluid you're going to displace when doing this. Fit the cover again, then bleed up the system. 

And welcome to OSS.:tu

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Devilmans right! So ... loosen the bleed nipple. Clean, lubricate the piston with fresh fluid, and re-insert the piston. Push it right back. You could, to minimise mess, put a bleed pipe on the nipple, other end into a jar, to catch the fluid you're going to misplace when doing this. Fit the cover again, then bleed up the system. 

And welcome to OSS.:tu

Thanks for the welcome.  Will give this a crack.  Last thing to do before mot at end of the month.