1990L fork seal replacement

fab

1990L 750 slingshot

i have fitted lots of rwu fork seals but i haven't ever done usd fork seals

i read the manual and there only way is with special tools

can it be done easier than in the manual or any tips or tricks to do it?

i did a search but couldn't find exactly what i wanted   

Usd are basically the same as the earlier conventional rwu forks . Worst part is undoing the bolt in the bottom of the leg that holds the damper rod. I always loosen this first , if the rod spins you will need a special tool to go inside and hold it  . ( I've only had this in one fork leg of about 8 I've done.) 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, colinworth79 said:

Usd are basically the same as the earlier conventional rwu forks . Worst part is undoing the bolt in the bottom of the leg that holds the damper rod. I always loosen this first , if the rod spins you will need a special tool to go inside and hold it  . ( I've only had this in one fork leg of about 8 I've done.) 

in the utube video he doesn't undo the damper rod bolt at the bottom to change fork seals

he just undoes the top which is how i will be going with it.

You may find you will need to compress the spring spacer which sits atop the spring if planning to do it as per the vid. 

have seen a couple of different ways to do this either undo the bottom bolt which holds the damper and pull out the whole damper spring and fork bolt in one or compress the spacer and disconnect the fork bolt (as per the Video). To be fair don't know how difficult that is on these but was a bitch making something to fit the TLS forks, that I did.

You need a tool or fashion one to ram home the seal and do not forget anything (ask me how I know).  

Do a you tube search to get some ideas easy to find