Max revs GSX1100

Gents,

I've got a GS1000 with a 1247cc big bore on it, I have 493 con rods on it.

I've gor forged pistons in it who weigh 257 grams each.

My rev limiter is set at 9000rpm.

My question;

I don't have a clue how many revs my engine can do without blowing up.

I know that piston speed is a very important thing.

I don't have a clue if the weight of the piston is a limit in the amount of revs it can make.

As far as my information goes a GSX1100 goes to 10.000rpm?

Anyone who knows a thing or 2 in this regard?

Thanks

Edited by Reinhoud

If I recall correctly a stock GSX1100 doesn't have a limiter, but I might be wrong. However, I have been using 10.000 as a limit on my turbo GSX, currently 1327cc. And I think that should be pretty safe choice. To get some perspective I think pro stock GSX engines run up to 13.000 and they are around 1700cc, longer stroke and BIG pistons. But lifetime of the crank isn't very long on those.

1 hour ago, Arttu said:

If I recall correctly a stock GSX1100 doesn't have a limiter, but I might be wrong. However, I have been using 10.000 as a limit on my turbo GSX, currently 1327cc. And I think that should be pretty safe choice. To get some perspective I think pro stock GSX engines run up to 13.000 and they are around 1700cc, longer stroke and BIG pistons. But lifetime of the crank isn't very long on those.

Thanks.

I thought you'd run about 10.000rpm.

I think the GS and GSX didn't have limiters, but they don't rev that high anyway, I think.

Your pistons are most likely more heavy then mine, so I should be all right revving it to 10.000rpm?

I already thought this, but wasn't sure. It's a matter of better save then sorry. Expensive hobby when it goes wrong

8 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Your pistons are most likely more heavy then mine, so I should be all right revving it to 10.000rpm?

I already thought this, but wasn't sure. It's a matter of better save then sorry. Expensive hobby when it goes wrong

Seems that I don't have notes about my current pistons. But previous 77mm Wisecos were 216g + 75g for the pin. Any ways, I think 10.000 should be ok for you too.

Yep, always better to be cautious than throw a rod out of the cases... But like said, I think 10.000 should be pretty safe if you have properly made crank.

• Like 1