GS650 GT Front fork

Good afternoon OSS er’s, I need your expertise.

I swapped the original, leaking front fork for a refurbished, by Kais suspension, front fork, plus brakes, yokes, speedo drive and wheel from my GSXR 1100 k. 

I think it looks the Bollocks compared to how it was, brakes much better, suspension more controlled-less bouncy. However it now wants to fall into corners with the slightest push of the bars. I put this down to the shorter fork altering steering geometry. So, can I get away with adding say the ends of a GSXR top yolk welded to my top yolk, giving approx. 25 mm, or will I have to have a stepped top yolk made to bring it back to original geometry.

GS original fork length - 780 mm  axle to top of stantion 

GSXR original fork length - 740 mm

Thanks, inmate

0BF22574-7885-4AF7-ACB3-1489252A4B29.jpeg

9B8A6951-0EB4-483A-99B7-C1472AEE032E.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies wraith and Tony, I am looking to weld GSXR or b12 yokes to gain some extra fork length, I see that Clivegto , I think, has done this before, it would be the cheaper option. But would the 25mm be enough to reduce the ‘quick’ steering? It is a bit unnerving at the moment:/

Yes wraith 120/70/17.

I’ll try the local breakers see if I can get a top yoke, then I will need to find someone to do the welding. Anyone recommend a welder around north Manchester?

Then next job find a better looking exhaust, hate the ugly motad thing.

FC11B296-8AFC-4AA1-8F4F-4973E5D5CE81.jpeg

• Like 1

You may find it hard to get a off the shelf exhaust for the 650.

The sharp front end may have something to do with the rear end, sounds daft but sometimes bad handling at one end can be course but the other end, as you still have the standard 650 rear wheel with its not very wide tyre and the tyre will be mist match and compound ie the being a zr rated the rear being no where near that.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Wraith, yes the original wheel and a 130/70 tyre. There is brand new Bridgestone  B46 just been fitted. I looked at fitting a wider wheel and tyre but there isn’t enough width in the swing arm. Long term I would like to fit an oil boiler 750/1200 in the bike, with chain drive and perhaps a GSX 1400 swing arm.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, inmate said:

Ooh yea, I like that TonyGee. That’s why I come here talented peeps with imagination.

don't know about that ????  it was more about being skint and not having the dosh for a new exhaust system :(  I just happened to have the end of an old can that fitted over the motad with a bit of cutting and riveting. :D 

• Like 1

nielw, yes that’s an idea I’ll have to price one up, but then I’d have the expense of another new tyre and still have odd wheels. TonyGee’s bike above is sort of the look I’m after, slowly modifying the bike when funds allow.

• Like 1