Bandit Removeable Frame Rail

Devilman

So, as often seems to be the case, the right-hand (removeable) frame rail on my bandit has started to rot through on the crossbar.
image.thumb.png.dd16969ef9a91073c685290cb139d30e.png
Can anyone tell me if the 600 / 1200 / Mk1 / Mk2 / 650 / 1250 are the same or not? Would make trying to locate one in decent condition a little easier :D

Thanks 

Edited by Devilman
6 hours ago, wraith said:

From what I'm told on here the MK1 600 and 1200 frames are the same apart from the rear bottom engine mounts and the rear foot peg hangers.

Someone will be along to confirm that this

That’s not entirely true, the dimensions are the same and yes the rear bottom hole is a different size, and foot pegs welded on, and the bottom engine mounts are welded on, the lock stops are different sizes, the 600 doesn’t have the bolted cross member at the  Front either.. but apart from that they are identical, and yes the 600 frame tube dose fit the 1200,.. but like Tony said it looks pants:tu

And 70:quid for that part,, Fek  my old boots…..:o

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

That’s not entirely true, the dimensions are the same and yes the rear bottom hole is a different size, and foot pegs welded on, and the bottom engine mounts are welded on, the lock stops are different sizes, the 600 doesn’t have the bolted cross member at the  Front either.. but apart from that they are identical, and yes the 600 frame tube dose fit the 1200,.. but like Tony said it looks pants:tu

And 70:quid for that part,, Fek  my old boots…..:o

I thought, you'd be the man who knows ;)

Quite honestly at this stage I am surprised that nobody has considered making new versions of this part and selling them retail.

It's such a common problem with these frames, You'd have though some industrious person would have started making replacements.

For clarification, mine *is* a bandit 600, so welded mount etc is fine :)

8 hours ago, Dezza said:

I have seen complete Blandit 12 frames with v5 sell for less than 70 quid.

Me too, but I have neither the inclination nor the patience for all the hassle / drama of re-registering it with a different engine etc...

Edited by Devilman

I spent a few hours looking last night at Eblag listings and similar.

650 and 1250 look totally different design to the earlier bikes, so those are out of the question.

1200 has removeable engine mount also.

It does appear as though Mk2 600 (and possibly 1200) are physically the same, at least visually.

Cheapest I've found so far that looks in reasonable condition was still like £40 with postage :/

Edited by Devilman
24 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Is cutting the rot out, and welding in a piece of pipe an option?

Potentially, yes. However the amount of crap and rust flakes that were inside the part, combined with the overall condition of the bike, leads me to be more inclined to replace it.

Both the drain holes were blocked and the inside is like a crusty horseshoe, the whole bike overall was clearly not well maintained (or even cleaned), with grime and crud caked to it :o

36 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

what about a frame ? you can pick em up pretty cheap with a V5 ;)

I had thought about that, it may still be a possibility *if* I was able to find one in really clean condition, but the only ones I've seen thus far look as bad as my frame rail:D

• Like 1