New loom - buy, make or repair? - gsxr 750 wp

Hi there, 

I’ve got a gsxr 750 wp with wiring loom that has been butchered up by the previous owner. I’ve had a go at repairing it but, it’s all such a mess, I’m having a mare of a time. 

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were in this situation? Ideally I’d like to either start fresh with a new loom or make it up from scratch. But, electrick-ery is not my wheel house. 

No looms seem to be coming up on Eblag and despite having a wiring diagram, I can’t seem to find the faults. Is it the corroded connections, spliced cables of various gauges, faulty stater relay, bad ground, one of the broken connector pins? At a complete loss. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I haven’t cut or chopped loom at all yet. 

208DAE6B-58F0-4796-9C57-482E7DF4A5DA.thumb.jpeg.f06b29683b79224d42903ff3057d133d.jpeg

24B463A2-7A27-49C8-BA28-A3F440C4A724.thumb.jpeg.75b859de4d436769ee5d23c49e6296f2.jpeg

A7156F2E-4F2A-4147-937F-06C9C8564841.thumb.jpeg.70209a3d4386cfc9f35c22040e583ba2.jpeg

• Like 1

We've all been there at some point, I will be facing the same issue soon on the gs, I know there are automotive electricians that can make you a new loom but you will pay for it, I am going to try and make my own loom using the old one as a guide for lengths and the wiring diagram for info. :(

• Like 1

Looms are pretty straightforward to work with but I understand that some people find them a nightmare. Is the bike stock or do you intend on moving the electical components about? If you're going to modify the bike in that way then it would especially make sense to modify the loom you have. The materials are not expensive and you will learn a lot about bike electrics, what works and what does not work. Also, if the bike won't start have you checked the resistor in the ignition switch? This is a primative anti-hotwiring device. A friend of mine rebulit a 750W and it wouldn't start. The problem turned out to be a dodgy connection on this resistor.

• Like 1

So the bike has no ignition switch at the moment, The red and orange where twisted together and the same with the grey and brown which matches up to the diagram. 

I have some 100ohm resistors. 

The problems I have at the moment are I am not sure why the pin out is on the starter relay and I can’t find where the side stand switch wires are. 

Well, having Red permanently connected to the Orange is a bad move as all the circuits will be permanently live inc. ignition so you'll possibly overheat the coils and flatten / kill the battery through deep cycling! Lots of people delete the sidestand switch. I know it may be difficult to get your head around but just pick one circuit at a time - follow the circuit / wiring diagram and use a multi-meter to check for a) voltage and b) continuity (ie wires not having a break within the loom)

• Like 1

Sometimes with a bodged loom you have to admit defeat and bin it. 

One option is completely remove it from bike. Remove all the tape and check/repair and wires and connectors. Following the schematic to check the wires connect where they are meant to connect to. Then rewrap it. 

Other is to make a new loom. It's not too difficult, but is time consuming.  Also you can ditch any thing on the original loom you don't require on the new build.  Use the same colours as Suzuki use. Makes fault finding far easier. 

• Like 1

Yep, thats the best plan.

Unwrap it to locate iffy soldered add ons and other butchered wires.

Buy a bandit loom, and unwrap that.

It will provide you with all the correct colour-coded wire to take from it and replace whats messed up on yours.

Ideal move is to replace the whole section of a wire thats messed, rather than cut and crimp or solder a section in

Replace the spades on the new wires you fit on and you should be good to go.

I'm guessing it's the lights/ingnition switch areas that have been messed around the most ? The rest of it shouldn't be too molested ?

• Like 1

I am in France, just checked on my usual classifieds website and one of the good bike breaker professionals i use has a complete loom for 50€

If you can't find a matching one your side that could probably be the easiest way to fix your bike situation xD

IMG_20220501_122422.thumb.jpg.cad1d268deb676b61a773f8c1f35638d.jpg

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Joseph said:

I am in France, just checked on my usual classifieds website and one of the good bike breaker professionals i use has a complete loom for 50€

If you can't find a matching one your side that could probably be the easiest way to fix your bike situation xD

IMG_20220501_122422.thumb.jpg.cad1d268deb676b61a773f8c1f35638d.jpg

Sounds like a plan! I’ll try and find it now!