fuel injection on an old skool motor ? who has done it ?

31 minutes ago, busa ash said:

thinking of doing a fuel injection system instead oif carbs on one of my herd of oss bikes any one done this or any links ?

GSX1100dreamn on here has a nice Kat with injection - he has a fair bit or experience with this.

Yeah, I have done some.

Here's project thread for my own GSX: https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/topic/8401-arttus-turbo-gsx/

There aren't too much details about basic fuel injection installation but maybe it gives some ideas.

Then there is ongoing thread about EFI installation on a Bandit that shows more the basic details: https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/topic/17581-mini-project-efi-for-a-turbo-bandit/

Bruteforce's EFI thread is worth of checking as well. It also shows plenty of details about the installation process: https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/topic/4931-turbogs-is-going-efi/

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I was planning on doing it, even bought a triggerwheel from arttu. But my megasquirt was fried and noone can repair it so, still running carbs here... thinking about buying a speeduino ecu and a bosch coil module and just run ignition only for a start...

Everyone has a different balance between wonky frames and cool oem bikes.. to bikes that can only be deemed a Suzuki because of the engine. It's the expression of each individual and what makes this such a colourful place.

• Like 3

Is the GSX motor going to be N/A or turbo.

And yes my Kat is EFI.

Below is the thread,

Its a very simple backyard setup, took me 6 months planning 4 days to convert and have been using it for 3 years of commuting no problems so far.

Used a 07 1250 Bandit as donor.

5.thumb.jpg.2cb53c280a70a118e5e7a786696cebf1.jpg

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
add info.
  • Like 4
On 5/28/2022 at 8:40 AM, TonyGee said:

why would you want to put all that electrictrickery shit on a classic air cooled engine ????????  :/

That statement makes me feel old, 'electrickery' and air cooled.

You know like when the air cooled 2 valve points ignition went to air cooled 4 valve ELECTRONIC ignition.

Don't get me started on those new fangled oil cooled bikes.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

How much will it cost to install an EFI?

I'm sometimes thinking about it..

It can naturally vary a lot depending on what kind system you want, what parts you use and where you source them. But as a ball park figure I would say 1000-2000€. Lower end of the range is pretty tight, means some very low cost ECU and using plenty of used parts, but should be doable. You can make it even cheaper if that's your main goal but that will mean compromises here and there and it will be more difficult.

• Like 1

If you can solder electronic components well / reliably then the DIY route of building a Megasquirt or Speeduino is a cheaper option (£225 - 400 - wow Mega's have gone up in price!!!) Then you'll need a fuel pump, throttle bodies (GSXR600's are good and quite cheap) various sensors and a crank trigger wheel. That will be sufficient to get a running and tuneable bike. A good addition would be a Wideband Lambda sensor and controller - helps tuning and running of engine + some controllers log parameters . . . . . . not a necessity but VERY useful. That lot should be sub £1000, maybe £800 . . . . .go on, risk it for a biscuit! :banana:

• Like 2

Yeah I mean how hard can it be... seriously

cheap copy and paste a 07 bandit sequential ;)(Suzuki have done the hard work for you) onto a GSX + kawa/ arttu trigger.

or $$$$ bespoke aftermarket parts/ full setup/ custom/ tune/ log.

I'll get me popcorn.

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
added info
1 hour ago, TLRS said:

What makes it so expensive? Apart from a bespoke ECU, everything is readily available and low in demand shirley?

There isn't anything especially expensive but plenty of stuff that adds up. Some examples for a low end system from top of my head:

• ECU - 300-600€
  • Throttle body set with injectors - 100-200€
  • Fuel pump - 100€
  • Pressure regulator 50-100€
  • Sensors - 50-100€
  • Wideband lambda sensor - 200€
  • Bunch of small items that you can't even think about before startting - 100-200€

Like said it's possible to get many of these for cheaper too if you have some luck or patience for searching. On the other hand it can get much more expensive if you have any special requirements.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

this is JUST a question before anyone gets on their fucking high horse :/  so does the smallish amount of gain in power/performance out way the expense and hassle of fitting a F.I. system to an old air cooled engine ?  

That's quite subjective question and the same goes with any modification that we do on these old bikes. So only you can answer if it's worth of it for you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Arttu said:

That's quite subjective question and the same goes with any modification that we do on these old bikes. So only you can answer if it's worth of it for you.

for me im not looking for big BHP for road use, my old 1100 has enough for me to get about on and helps keep my licence (and life) a bit longer ;)  I'd prefer to spend my money on making the bike look good and ride safer :D  when suzuki started with F.I. i had a bit of a nightmare with early problems with the systems, and fixing a bike with a laptop plugged in is not my idea of fun :( yeah im old school. im also having another nightmare with the F'I' on my fecking car !!!!!!  

yes I know when its working its better than carbs but when its not it can be a twat to fix.   BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

for me im not looking for big BHP for road use, my old 1100 has enough for me to get about on and helps keep my licence (and life) a bit longer ;)  I'd prefer to spend my money on making the bike look good and ride safer :D  when suzuki started with F.I. i had a bit of a nightmare with early problems with the systems, and fixing a bike with a laptop plugged in is not my idea of fun :( yeah im old school. im also having another nightmare with the F'I' on my fecking car !!!!!!  

yes I know when its working its better than carbs but when its not it can be a twat to fix.   BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went efi because I didn't like the heavy long throttle action of my mikuni flatsides. The bonus has been the ease of tuning, much smoother running & the ability to retard the ignition timing when starting the engine preventing the exploding starter clutch scenario which was all too frequent. I'm doing another now this time on an oil cooled motor. 

Arttu's cost estimate is fairly close, I would say about the same cost as a new set of flatsides but obviously a lot more fiddly bits to make & fit. 

• Like 1