4.5" rear on GS1100 swingarm

Hi All,

I am looking for an answer on upgrading the rear wheel on my GSX1100ES. I got front forks and wheels from GSXR 750 '89. 
I managed to find enough information on front end. However I cant seem to find enough information on rear end swap, to keep me confident I should go with this.

I am from Serbia and I don't have very easy access to spare parts nor to any custom parts. 

While doing my research on this topic I didn't find a lot information on weather offset sprockets are necessary to use when converting to a 4.5" rim. And if they are what is the most common size that is used.

Any knowledge on this topic would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

20211121_151229.jpg

• Like 1

Ive got a 4.5inch bandit 600 wheel in my GSX750, to get the chain to run equally between the frame and the edge of the 150 rear tyre I used a thickish washer behind the front sprocket to offset it, the problem their is you cant use the lock washer as the sprocket sits at the end of the splines. but the sprocket i used has 2 drilled and tapped holes in it so i made a plate to sit up against the sprocket nut to stop it from coming loose.  then i had to get the rear sprocket carrier machined down so the sprocket was closer to the tyre.  the chain is in line and I have loads of room from the frame and tyre. 

27 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

Ive got a 4.5inch bandit 600 wheel in my GSX750, to get the chain to run equally between the frame and the edge of the 150 rear tyre I used a thickish washer behind the front sprocket to offset it, the problem their is you cant use the lock washer as the sprocket sits at the end of the splines. but the sprocket i used has 2 drilled and tapped holes in it so i made a plate to sit up against the sprocket nut to stop it from coming loose.  then i had to get the rear sprocket carrier machined down so the sprocket was closer to the tyre.  the chain is in line and I have loads of room from the frame and tyre. 

The chain spacing lock washer problem is unlikely to be a problem if the 1100ES OEM front sprocket is the same or similar to the 1100 EFE item, which is much thicker than 3/8 of an inch where it meets the splines due to the in-built damper thingy. Sticking on a new 530 'normal' sprocket, although it will still be 3/8 width, would likely free-up some space on the splined shaft to enable outboard spacing and normal fitting of the splined tab washer :)

55 minutes ago, Dezza said:

The chain spacing lock washer problem is unlikely to be a problem if the 1100ES OEM front sprocket is the same or similar to the 1100 EFE item, which is much thicker than 3/8 of an inch where it meets the splines due to the in-built damper thingy. Sticking on a new 530 'normal' sprocket, although it will still be 3/8 width, would likely free-up some space on the splined shaft to enable outboard spacing and normal fitting of the splined tab washer :)

yeah I should of said, I did a 530 conversion. with the sprocket on the shaft the splines no longer protrude past the edge of the sprocket but just slightly under. still plenty of splines driving the sprocket. this give me enough room to clear the tyre.  yeah I do everything on the cheap :$ 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, neilw said:

Easiest way is a 600 bandit rear wheel, gs500 twin sprocket carrier, 530 chain conversion and a gsx750f (teapot) rear caliper.

Running all makes of 150/70 rear tyre you will have no issues , some manufacturers 160/60 will also fit

if he's using the OEM swinger then  GS 500 calliper and hanger are used as the torque arm is on top not underneath :tu

19 hours ago, TonyGee said:

I have 17" wheels from '89 GSXR 750, hopefully its a match. 

Do you have any knowledge on weather machining the sprockets with that small offset and a drilled space for lock washer is any good? Comparing durability and strength to one bought in a store. 
I did a little research and there are few companies here that make sprockets really cheap. Maybe it would save me from hustle to just order a few of them.

11 hours ago, JeanPaulDildaud said:

I have 17" wheels from '89 GSXR 750, hopefully its a match. 

Do you have any knowledge on weather machining the sprockets with that small offset and a drilled space for lock washer is any good? Comparing durability and strength to one bought in a store. 
I did a little research and there are few companies here that make sprockets really cheap. Maybe it would save me from hustle to just order a few of them.

I got around the lock washer issue by tack welding it to the face of the sprocket.

• Like 1
On 4/27/2022 at 3:52 PM, TonyGee said:

Did you use stock sprocket carrier or one from the new wheel?

I am starting my adventure next week.

1 hour ago, JeanPaulDildaud said:

Did you use stock sprocket carrier or one from the new wheel?

I am starting my adventure next week.

it wasn't a 600 bandit carrier i used it was one off a gsx600f,  they have a lower sprocket surface but still need machining down, if I remember right it was about 10mm ???   

• 3 weeks later...

I have fitted a wheel conversion to my 84 EFE. I used a 4.5" GSXR 1100 rear wheel with a GS500 sprocket carrier. I had to change bearings to match spindle diameter and shorten bearing spacer by 11 mm. I used a GSXF rear sprocket and Katana front sprocket 17/45. Spaced out front sprocket using a Bandit spacer, 530 120 link chain.

• Like 1