Random GSX-1400 question

Joseph

So, let's look at what's what.

First off, the ignition pick up system.

Unfortunately, not quite so straightforward as i had thought.

- The ignition plates are indentical and interchangeable.

- The Ignition rotors are interchangeable, in terms of diameter and size of the notch that slots into the crank.

However.

The 1400 for some reason has a much higher shoulder :

IMG-20220816-144944.jpg

So basically, putting a normal oilcooled item makes it hit the Ignition plate.

Also, and although i haven't done any TDC setting or what, the notch in the rotor is angled differently in regards to the T spot

IMG-20220816-144809.jpg

IMG-20220816-144801.jpg

Not sure in what direction that affects things, but something is going on there in terms of timing 

• Like 1

I need to get my B12 and G14 at an identical TDC spot to compare, but i'm thinking that if i end up using a B12 ECU for simpler wiring and engine management for carbs, maybe i can use the B12 rotor and make a double notched spacer (i would need a spacer anyway to make up for the shoulder height difference) that could adjust the B12 rotor to the Ignition setting of the G14 ?

IMG-20220816-153941.jpg

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 2
  • 6 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, Blubber said:

That probably could be John McLean from Mclean racing 

Screenshot_20220718-145107_Instagram.jpg

Yes that would be me, sorry i dont frequent the forum as much as I used to back in the day. Our 1400 runs a carbed setup although I have built it to convert to EFI should I wish. Recent dyno results showed well over 200hp at the wheel. Due to the lack of tuning parts available for these motors, I am currently in the process of designing and building engine and electronics parts for these motors which will be available hopefully this summer which will realy open up the possibilities of what can be done as we have been developing our own race motor for the past 7 years and think its time to move some of this knowledge into road going machines

POD_4606.JPG

• Like 7
On 2/23/2023 at 6:01 PM, Joseph said:

Sounds nice. I need around 200-250 RealWheelHP for my project, and I do not want to mess with EFI because I am not smart enough to do so. Doable on carbs I guess ? I have ample room for IC on the build

Beleive it or not, there is no real "easy" way to convert to carbs on these, its doable for sure, but theres alot of other factors in doing it. The kit I am designing will allow plug and play into the stock wiring loom and allow both full EFI tunability, or to still be used on carbs. It will also have a multitude of additional input and output functions which will be fully programable. As for engine tuning, i have almost sorted out some engine componants which once I have actually built up a spare motor and run it, i will be able to offer these for general sale too. Unfortunately it is going to be at least the summer till all of this is sorted.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...