Different innertubes GSXR1100W

Ramq

Hi! New member here! I recently bought a used GSXR1100W (1993) fork to convert my gsf1200 MK1. However, I started service these today, and the legs appear to be different from the inside? Does anyone know what’s going on here? Did the previous owner replace one leg for a newer model? 
47926-D64-F9-A8-4620-BF6-A-D21907-ABB702

Edited by Ramq

My guess is previous fork builder misplaced a metal spacer tube (probably fork apart for a while waiting on seals and bushings) and then fashioned a new one out of a durable plastic.

Can't see why the plastic replacement wouldn't be up to the job if its a good hard grade. Check it for any signs of stress or fracture to be on the safe side.

Looks to have a bit of though gone in to it as he has a seat to support the tube. I'd almost bet theres a seat on the other end too to support the main spring.

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 2

I’ve rebuilt a lot of forks and older boat anchors RWU forks have plastic preload spacers as well as more modern upside down Suzuki model forks

The holes are for the pins in the spring compressor for detaching the adjuster from the damper tube

Edited by Simbec1863
1 hour ago, gray711 said:

I’ve got an OEM K6 spacer sat on the bench. 

Here’s a pic to confirm they used plastic in later forks.

4CD37614-DE9D-4B97-905A-0DD543D9453D.thumb.jpeg.1a18cd8bf2146cb8739c202ab14f51d8.jpeg

Fantastic thanks! Now I know where it’s from and that it’s at least safe to keep using it! 

As you can see below, the plastic one is slightly longer. But since I’m putting them on a Bandit anyway, I think it won’t matter much. 

5A35C28D-0F3B-44C5-8E7C-5763912EAF52.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Ramq said:

As you can see below, the plastic one is slightly longer. But since I’m putting them on a Bandit anyway, I think it won’t matter much

Did you add the top spacer to overall length of the tube? With that added it should equal the same length as the metal one.