Braided oil line leaking

E T

Noticed that oil cooler line has started leaking over night, been no sign of it leaking until today 20220330_211202.thumb.jpg.5c1424fc3dd6b1bb8a0e2ea06b128d65.jpg

Tried tightening it but it wasn't loose. Oils weeping from the bradeed hose right at the union. Any ideas, i haven't used this type of hose before other than brake lines.

2 hours ago, clivegto said:

What make are they ? I usually use Torques UK and on occasion Chinese ones, never had a problem so far. However I did buy a bike last year that had been stud for 10 years and the outer bolts had split with corrosion/age. IMG_20220331_175855.thumb.jpg.0bf90d35f356593b8fad16fb49f9af1f.jpg

I did look at getting new hose & fittings in black from torques as i'm not a fan of the blue & red anodizing but was going to wait till i had more cash saved but looks like i'll have to get them now:/

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, E T said:

I did look at getting new hose & fittings in black from torques as i'm not a fan of the blue & red anodizing but was going to wait till i had more cash saved but looks like i'll have to get them now:/

i stripped the anodizing off with oven cleaner spray,worked really well. just dont leave it on too long or it will go black and you will have to really polish it.

• Like 2

You're going to have to remove the hose and then remove the fitting. The cause of the leak should then be clear. The last leak I had was the old hose had gone hard over the years. It was about 20 years old. New hose and all OK. Hose is cheap. It's decent quality fittings that cost but they can be re-used , unless neglected and corroded.

• Like 3
On 3/31/2022 at 4:59 PM, E T said:

Noticed that oil cooler line has started leaking over night, been no sign of it leaking until today 20220330_211202.thumb.jpg.5c1424fc3dd6b1bb8a0e2ea06b128d65.jpg

Tried tightening it but it wasn't loose. Oils weeping from the bradeed hose right at the union. Any ideas, i haven't used this type of hose before other than brake lines.

Those red and blue ends are alloy rather than steel. They stopped making brake lines like that years ago because they would corrode and split. I’m guessing that might be what’s happened here.

12 hours ago, Jonny said:

Those red and blue ends are alloy rather than steel. They stopped making brake lines like that years ago because they would corrode and split. I’m guessing that might be what’s happened here.

You can still buy alloy -3 stuff for brake lines etc.  They are supposed to be an mot failure though for that very reason. I certainly wouldn't use alloy fittings on a road vehicle.

Edited by dupersunc
1 hour ago, stockcar said:

Torques are all Chinese stuff anyhows.......

Don't know about that, the cheep Chinese black stuff, the anodising goes brown very quickly, where as the Toques stuff stays black for much longer.

So must be a much better quality Chinese stuff they get instead of the stuff on eblag 

7 hours ago, dupersunc said:

You can still buy alloy -3 stuff for brake lines etc.  They are supposed to be an mot failure though for that very reason. I certainly wouldn't use alloy fittings on a road vehicle.

Yeah you’re right. You can still get them for race applications. 

22 hours ago, dupersunc said:

There is nothing in MOT guidance that precludes use of alloy fittings on a road bike. There is guidance regarding leakage and corrosion - for ANY flexible brake line, so none are immune. But like anything, if you show up for an MOT with clearly corroded and / or split, leaking or otherwise deficient brakes, then you deserve to have the book thrown at you. Also note, that some of these faults are noted as 'Dangerous', meaning the vehicle has to be fixed before it can be used again - even to take home to repair!

I'm not preaching as I have and do use alloy brake fittings on road bikes but they don't get salty or wet! My usual preference is Stainless for 24/7/365 type use!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

There is nothing in MOT guidance that precludes use of alloy fittings on a road bike. There is guidance regarding leakage and corrosion - for ANY flexible brake line, so none are immune. But like anything, if you show up for an MOT with clearly corroded and / or split, leaking or otherwise deficient brakes, then you deserve to have the book thrown at you. Also note, that some of these faults are noted as 'Dangerous', meaning the vehicle has to be fixed before it can be used again - even to take home to repair!

I'm not preaching as I have and do use alloy brake fittings on road bikes but they don't get salty or wet! My usual preference is Stainless for 24/7/365 type use!

There was a bulletin years ago about it, but it's true that doesn't capture anything, boyond the week it's published.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, dupersunc said:

There was a bulletin years ago about it, but it's true that doesn't capture anything, boyond the week it's published.

I raised it because I always had alloy fittings on brake lines and then a lot of the shops I used told me they'd stopped selling them because you were no longer supposed to use them on road bikes. As I'd had one split previously I didn't try to source them and went over to SS. After all, how much weight to they save anyway?