Rattling/clicking noise on Suzuki GSX750ES from 1985

Hi,

New on the forum, but I think this is the right place to post.

Bought a used Suzuki GSX750ES from 1985 some days ago, and while it's standing on its own support/leaning left (not on the support) it sounds nice, clean and "rumbly", for the lack of a better word.
When I balance it, the rumbling fades a bit and gets accompanied by a loud rattling/clicking noise.
The rattling/clicking gets slightly worse if I lean right.
The clutch has no effect on the noise.

I've attached a video of me balancing the bike, and then leaning back left with the difference in sound clearly audible:

Is this a normal sound?
Do you have ideas on what could cause it?
If it's bad, what needs to be checked and fixed?

I'm new to motorcycles, and trying to learn as much as I can.
All help appreciated.

Most certainly isn't 'normal' ! Without being next to it - its a difficult diagnosis but suspect oil or cam chain related? Check oil level and maybe do a oil change with new 10w/40 oil, filter change wouldn't harm either if you drop the oil! But I wouldn't run it too much while it sounds like that!

• Like 1

If it was me, I'd get a new Rh and lh side cover gasket and cam cover gasket, also get a sump gasket, get some new oil and a filter. Drop the oil remove the oil filter, remove the sump, see if there is any bits in there that shouldn't be there. Take both side covers off and check all is ok in there then take off the cam cover check the cam chain is ok and the cam chain tensioner is working properly as they do stick, check the valve clearance, turn engine over by hand and recheck to check you haven't got a sticking valve.

And get rid of that exhaust rap before it rots you exhaust. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find 

• Like 2

Had a similar noise, rumble, when upright but went away when leaned over to left, not on side stand, on my old GS 650 gt, was convinced it was valve clearance problem. Did everything the guys above suggested, fresh oil/filter, sump off nothing to see, checked valve clearances - in spec., timing chain-in spec., timing chain tensioner ok. Noise still there, but I did balance the carbs and not noisy anymore, idles much better and picks up well better. Everything the guys have suggested is worth doing before riding the bike and you’ll get get to know her more intimately. 

• Like 2

Hi again all, and thanks for the advice!

Been listening with a stetoscope with a rod, and the rattle is most prominent in the lower-back part of the alternator cover.

I have not started the whole oil change process, as I want the seller to come listen to the sound before I start to pour money on potentially futile attempts at fixing what causes the noise.

Will update when I know more!

Edited by PreSkaRot
Typo

The problem was this bracket next to the stator!

IMG_20220323_112517.thumb.jpg.81d6ce6045b460095506e41300e2ecf2.jpg

It had bent outwards and was not snug inside its slot, causing wear on the wheel inside:

IMG_20220323_112531.thumb.jpg.24299b4160804dac2de4dc7fd8d280f1.jpg

After adjusting the bracket and some love-taps to bend it back, the beast purrs once again!

IMG_20220323_112719.thumb.jpg.ea8b3048ebafdad50a3670b71060226b.jpg

Also changed the oil and filter :)

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

And thanks to the seller who came with new oil and filter, and helped us fix it!  

• Like 7