SD or EX Generator/starter Clutch

Hi, I am rebuilding my ET engine and bought a never used reconditioned uprated Chris Applebee crank.

It was thought to be an ET crank, but it isn't, I think it's an SD or EX?  The crank has the larger diameter shaft 25mm upgraded to 29mm, different taper 1/7 instead of 1/5

Does anyone know what  generator/starter clutch fits this please?

Do I need anything else to resolve this?

UK Based (Cornwall)

Edited by Blubber
Looked a lot like a newbie wanted add

I reworked the original text.

You - as a newby - are not allowed to request or offer parts....Yet. 

Share some info, start a build thread and the Marketplace is unlocked after 50 useful post.  

"Become part of the inner circle"

"Get in touch with your OSS side"

" That is the way"

Just pick one. 

• Like 2
  • Blubber changed the title to SD or EX Generator/starter Clutch

I'm not sure.  The Haynes manual says the SD has the larger taper.  The guy I bought the crank from says he never had an Sd.  He had an ET and then owned an EX, never owned a SD.  Unless when the crank was reconditioned and somehow a different customers crank got mixed up and he was sent someone else's crank.  He never fitted it to anything and it sat in the loft until I bought it.

The welded crank on silver 1982 GS1100ez is a legend that may have some tiny amount of truth to it but the vast majority of 82 silver engine cranks are un-welded and small end. 

Suzuki realized they had a problem with twisted cranks due to them not being welded and started changing over at the end of the 82 production run.   

Posters on the GSR use to suggest that after a certain engine production number that all silver and black motor were welded but I would often see that proven wrong on GSR.  

I bought my 82 GS1100ez as a new left over in 1984.  The magazines at the time had done several stories about cranks twisting, so I knew when I went into the dealership that the 82s were suspect.   The dealer had a dozen leftover 82s and 83s and I really wanted a silver engine, so I brought up the issue of the twisting cranks and the dealer said "Not to Worry" Suzuki made the change late in 82 and all he needed to due was check the number stamped on the motor to know which crank was inside.  He walked into his office, came out with a piece of paper with a long list of serial numbers and said the 82 I was interested in was a late production model.  So I said please put all  that info in writing on the bill of sale, which he did. 

Took the bike on a cross country trip a week later. When I got home four weeks later with 10K miles on the clocks I did a celebration wheelie on the street I lived on.  When the front wheel touched down there was a loud whirring noise coming from the crank.   Had an interesting discussion with the deceitful dealer when I bought my one month old bike back with a twisted crank.  I said can you go get that piece of paper you used to sell me the bike again and he wouldn't produce it.   Suzuki warrantied the crank and gave me a welded  82 crank but it took months to get it all done.  

Bottom line is that if you find a welded crank in an 82 silver engine it was either warrantied or you won the end of production lottery.  Suzuki gave me a welded 82 crank with a small end to match my silver generator cover.  I don't think they made a silver generator cover that would fit a large end crank but I could be wrong about that. 

• Like 1

Thank you for that info.

It's welded, but I don't know if Chris Applebee did that or Suzuki.  Chris did whatever work he did back in 2011 and I didn't own the crank then.

The previous owner of the crank says he only ever owned an ET and EX, which makes this even more confusing as Suzuki say this is an EZ crank.

I'm open to ideas/suggestions/solutions?

If its been worked on in a previous life then relying on Suzuki guidance will likely lead to dead ends - these cranks are so easy to pull apart and mix & match components that you can end up with 3 or 4 models of bike in one crank. As long as the bits that work with the bits on the crank, fit, - is all that matters!