Frame number etched, not stamped. No VIN plate query

Good afternoon folks

I have a query that has been nagging me for nearly 30 years.

My 1985 GSXR 750F jap import has an etched frame number, and shows no evidence of a VIN plate ever been fitted.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this, or have any idea as to why this frame appears to be ‘different’

Looking forward to any comments from the experts in these matters.

Thank you.

38329FA9-CBD8-4065-840B-1B4A65CAAEB2.jpeg

Thanks for the quick response folks.

Therefore, am I correct in saying that all (?)JDM bikes do not have VIN numbers? (ET, Romaz750R clivegto)

If that is the case, do they have 5 digits that look as awful as mine, applied by an apprentice on his first day in the factory, and how is it possible to find where it sits in a production run (early or late in the year?).

I have noticed on that ‘GSXR’ forum, the Canadian boys are consumed with frame number discussion for this reason

I do wonder why we find such information so interesting.

Apart from that ‘Practical Sportsbikes’ April 22 has the F as it’s favourite 750. Although this doesn’t stop me getting cramp in my hips every time I ride the bloody thing. The joys of ageing. On the plus side, I do like to think that Vance and Hines have contributed to my significant hearing loss.

• Like 2