Engine refitting

Chay

12 hours ago, wraith said:

Best way of fitting a engine in the frame, get some mates round, get some beers in and stand and whatch them do it for you when you sit and drink the beer ;) but save them one or they won't come and help you next time xD

That's pretty much how my last engine installation went. Amount of required effort can be seen on the table :P

engine_in.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Poldark said:

To protect paint: go to plumbing supplies and get some foam rubber pipe insulation.  Install it on frame rails that might rub against engine during installation.  (remove when finished)

I used to use that, but now I use the floor protection sheets like this from Wickes. It's thinner so doesn't get in the way, it doesn't snag like faom, and it offers much better protection from a drag or bump. Just cut the length and tape it round the frame or whatever else needs covering.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bubba1135 said:

Last time I took mine out & put it back in i did it on my own...no wonder my backs fucked, an efe's a heavy old lump. O.o

It shouldn't be, but it's amazing how many of those stunts which weren't a problem at the time start creeping out of the woodwork once you've got a bit more age and mileage under the belt. xD:/

• Like 3
On 2/20/2022 at 6:53 AM, Joseph said:

Although not really technically useful, the engine mount screws, and the wheel and swingarm spindles, go in from left to right, so indeed clutch side on the ground makes sense

is their a technical reason why they go in from left?

I get some bicycle inner tubes, split them and tape them around the frame tubes, anything bigger like pipe insulation just gets in the way and pisses you off. M preference is to get the rolling chassis built up on its wheels and just lift the lump in. Only ever takes another pair of hands. Ive never done the frame over the engine method even when i put my Z13 motor in, made a gsx1100 seem like a piece of piss. 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:43 AM, Bubba1135 said:

Last time I took mine out & put it back in i did it on my own...no wonder my backs fucked, an efe's a heavy old lump. O.o

Removed it on my own as well it took the best part of an afternoon. Tipped it all on it's side then attached a ratchet strap to the ceiling to aid lifting the frame up . Required a lot back and forth wiggling to coax the engine out there isn't a lot of clearance. May recruit a couple son in laws to drop frame back over engine.

On 3/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, fab said:

is their a technical reason why they go in from left?

There is the rear motor mount to contend with going in from the left on the efe. It's a problem for removal as well so it goes back in the same way it comes out on the right.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:57 PM, Poldark said:

To protect paint: go to plumbing supplies and get some foam rubber pipe insulation.  Install it on frame rails that might rub against engine during installation.  (remove when finished)

I don't lose any sleep over it and just accept the frame is going to be scratched. I have a can of touch up paint ready to fix any scratches.

12 hours ago, RGSX said:

Removed it on my own as well it took the best part of an afternoon. Tipped it all on it's side then attached a ratchet strap to the ceiling to aid lifting the frame up . Required a lot back and forth wiggling to coax the engine out there isn't a lot of clearance. May recruit a couple son in laws to drop frame back over engine.

I couldn't lay mine on its side as it was in a lane on the side of the house, pics below show where I did it.

IMG-20200419-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20200419-WA0011.jpeg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Bubba1135 said:

I couldn't lay mine on its side as it was in a lane on the side of the house, pics below show where I did it.

IMG-20200419-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20200419-WA0011.jpeg

you get extra points for that challenge. There's always a way.

Edited by RGSX
  • Like 1