GS1000 fine tuning idle

Reinhoud

Gents, I just can't get my idling right.

After a ride the revs on idle go up and down, now it looks like it's sort of running on 3 cylinders, runs a bit "heavy". When the engine isn't real hot it seems to be alright, as soon as I open the throttle it runs fine

Been turning the idle srews in and out, can't find the sweet spot.

Valve clearence, sync, ignition is all ok. AFR seems to be fine too.

Anyone who might have an idea what might be wrong?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Blubber said:

Check for excessive play on the connecting rods in your carbs ? 

This causes air leakage on the butterfly feedthrough's playing havoc with idle.

Aha, will do. That's something I wouldn't have thought of myself..

Can I test that by spraying brake clear or something else flammable on the carbs while the engine is running?

All I've ever done is set the screws to the factory settings and balanced them. Works every time for me.

BUT.......this assumes you don't have any air leaks, flooding carbs, blocked air drillings, tight valves, dodgy HT leads etc.

Point is, if it doesn't idle correctly, it's probably NOT the idle adjustment. (Again assuming the screws are set to the factory settings).

I've been fidling around with the air screws, adjusted them till the AFR read 12, seems to run best on that.

I did the tuning this time after a 50km ride, I think that made a difference too

I also raised the idle rpm a little bit, just a little bit, and now it runs fine. have to get used to the higher idling, almost 1500rpm, pretty sensitive in that rev range

Edited by Reinhoud