GS1000 crankshaft seal

Reinhoud

34 minutes ago, Arttu said:

Not sure about the GS1000 but I have done this with a GSX1100 successfully. I think I drilled a small hole on the old seal to pry it out. Then just carefully tapped in the new one. 

Getting it out is not too hard, but when tapping the new seal in the coating of the seal comes of real easy... Like these seals are more tight then other seals..

46 minutes ago, Arttu said:

Not sure about the GS1000 but I have done this with a GSX1100 successfully. I think I drilled a small hole on the old seal to pry it out. Then just carefully tapped in the new one. 

Looked up the partnumbers, GS1000 and GSX1100 have the same oil seal.

How did you tap it in?

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx1100-1983-d-general-export-united-kingdom-e01-e02_model13730/partslist/FIG-10.html

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1000-1979-n-general-export-e01_model13512/partslist/FIG-08.html

3 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Looked up the partnumbers, GS1000 and GSX1100 have the same oil seal.

How did you tap it in?

Can't remember exactly, it was few years back...

Btw, are you sure you have it there right way around? That was the reason why I had to take mine out. :P

I think it should be other way around but unfortunately I can't remember where I checked it from. Even the workshop manual doesn't tell that clearly. But for example in this picture it probably is other way around. If you take a close look on the seal you can see the lips are different compared to normal oil seals. Mine was weeping slightly when mounted wrong way. But if your's doesn't leak then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

kuva.thumb.png.7ff8c341f9aeb40bb9ed5749c0ead8f9.png

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

I just looked in the Haynes for the GSX1100 / 1150 and that shows the metal centre of the seal facing out ie. opposite to how it is above. Not sure how different the GS1000 would be, if at all!

Yep, metal side out is how I think it shouid be. And how it seems to be in the manual pic above.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2022 at 9:33 PM, Arttu said:

Yep, metal side out is how I think it shouid be. And how it seems to be in the manual pic above.

Those small ridges on the seal face should lay against the crankshaft bearing. Then the seal is deep enough in the engine block.

When installing the seal in the engine block, put slightly rtv-silicone on the outer edge of the seal.