Bst34 float pin removal

E T

I work on at least 1 set of carbs every week that has to the 2 post with a tight pin. As said gentle tapping is one way. But sometimes the open end of the pin is quite tight and can jam in that post causing the post to snap at its base leaving the pin still attached to the broken post. The secret to not breaking the post is to start by breaking the bond at the open end by twisting the pin at the pins head. You trying to screw the pin out of the open end, not press.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

I work on at least 1 set of carbs every week that has to the 2 post with a tight pin. As said gentle tapping is one way. But sometimes the open end of the pin is quite tight and can jam in that post causing the post to snap at its base leaving the pin still attached to the broken post. The secret to not breaking the post is to start by breaking the bond at the open end by twisting the pin at the pins head. You trying to screw the pin out of the open end, not press.

yeah thats a good idea, a good pin should not be tight at the open end (unless its been damaged) the tight (wide) end is at the pin head. :tu  

7 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

a good pin should not be tight at the open end  

Nope, plenty of carbs out there where the pin is a deliberate press fit on the open end of the pin. Don't know why they bother as the pin can't go anywhere with the walls of the bowl stopping the pin from shifting. 

23 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

Nope, plenty of carbs out there where the pin is a deliberate press fit on the open end of the pin. Don't know why they bother as the pin can't go anywhere with the walls of the bowl stopping the pin from shifting. 

yeah their is but we are talking about the O.P.s  carbs 

Just now, TonyGee said:

yeah their is but we are talking about the O.P.s  carbs 

That set could have pressed in pins too. That why I mentioned press fit occurs in other types of carbs. Half the carbs I work on have loose pins and other pressed pins.

I'd check the other carbs on the bank. If all pins are tight, more likely press fit, if all the other pins are loose bar one, then that pin is most likely damaged or bent out line putting pressure and grip on the posts.

14 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

That set could have pressed in pins too. That why I mentioned press fit occurs in other types of carbs. Half the carbs I work on have loose pins and other pressed pins.

I'd check the other carbs on the bank. If all pins are tight, more likely press fit, if all the other pins are loose bar one, then that pin is most likely damaged or bent out line putting pressure and grip on the posts.

I have 2 sets of the same carbs and they are both the same with the wide end at the pin head, only saying like :/  

As my main income is from reconditioning carbs, I have to work fast. Pressed pins used to be a ballache consuming time. Now pulling pin is 10 second job with some homemade tools.

This my carb tool. A cheap smallest sized pliers found in pound shops and discount stores. It has 2 functions, first one is a pin puller. I cut the head off and ground it down till it just meets the cutter hole. Get the edges really sharp. Now you can slice down on the pins head where it meets the post. It will push the pin out enough to GENTLY twist it back and forth. As I do this, I support the open end post between my thumb and index finger on my free hand. The handles of the pliers clear the carb next to it so nothing gets in the way whatever carb in a bank of 4.

Function no.2

This tool also serves as gripper for stubborn brass float needle wells. Sometimes they can have a dried up o-ring and wont budge. The beauty of this tool is it grips the outside of the brass well and causes no damage to the inside. As the pliers head is cut off, it can fit neatly between the 2 pin posts and have the clearance to get in at the brass well. (In the past, I've had to reuse brass wells on super rare carbs where parts are not available anymore and I can't afford to damage)

20220205_201616.jpg

20220205_201652.jpg

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 7

If there is a slight gap between the pin head and post as in the picture in the OP, then using a pair of still sharp small wire cutters in the manner described by Jaydee (Function 1) works very well. If there's no gap then use a fine punch (2mm) and small hammer to very carefully create a gap, then use the cutters.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks, fired the stove up and put carbs on top, took dog for a walk and by time i got back carbs were nice n hot the ground down an old pair of snips and got pins out no probs,  so glad i just didn't put them back together as i've nere seen so much crud behind needle valve filters 20220206_112454.thumb.jpg.0c5930b079ceddb54e720bb6fd5b4c33.jpg

• Like 1