GSXR750F Introduction

Thank you for the welcome.

I realise what an awful quality picture that is.

A brand new ‘Skoal Bandit’ turning up at Bury (St Edmunds) college in 1986 was the moment of realisation that my GP100 was no longer ever going to be the bike I needed.

My bike was bought in 1995 as a rather tired (read:affordable) but original 1985 Japanese import. The original exhaust pipe was removed,  apart from the  header sleeve on No.3 that decided to stay within the cozy confines of the cylinder head. This was quickly rectified with the procurement of a deeply offensive V&H Supersport system. This mod, along with the removal of the air box (for ease of future carb maintenance, and not having to address the refitting of the age hardened carb rubbers) and the fitting of the obligatory Dynojet Stage 3, resulted in a rather entertaining (rough) ride until main jets were fully employed. Polished frame, single seat unit, blue screen and white wheels, along with chroming all brackets, was all in keeping at the time.

It was all getting rather tired and had another birthday in 2014, with replacement of all rolling chassis bearings, clutch plates, Maxton rear shock, and front forks rebuilt., along with multiple orders from Robinson’s for stuff that nobody ever sees.

Original (brittle) bodywork has scuffs, cracks and wear marks that I prefer to show. As with the ‘flexible’ front brake calipers and 18” wheels, spindly spindles, and short swing arm. All these ‘personality traits’ could be eradicated and make the whole machine infinitely better, as evident from this fine forum.

Personally, I like it just as it is :)

• Like 3

Evening Dezza

Or the 1978 blue/white X7 ‘cafe racer with clip ons, rear sets and Gus Kuhn seat, that was sold to buy the GSXR.

I’m not sure if X7s and GP100s are allowed to be discussed in this forum, however, there is nothing wrong with the odd nipped up piston ring.

If A534 ERT or GCE 778T ever present themselves in the future, I shall happily find room to accommodate them.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Dezza said:

Shame you don't still have the GP100 too. These small bikes are getting pretty scarce: they made and sold 1,000s but survivorship is a lot lower than bigger stuff for obvious reasons.

I still have a gt185 in the back of the shed where I left it after a mate holed a piston on it 36 year's ago. Someone did try to buy it off me recently. Never catch me hoarding stuff 9_9