Budget turbo GSX-R 1100 project for YouTube)

I started making turbo GSX-R 1100 88. The goal is to get about 250whp. Hayabusa pistons, the turbo is likely to be Chinese TD-05-16g. And I want to try using an air intercooler in front of the main cooler this time. Everything I came across was thick enough to limit the steering angle of the front fork. My understanding is that I need to find a core that is 51mm (2 inches) thick. But I have not met such. Tell me from which car I can use the intercooler as a blank, or where you can buy an inexpensive core.
The project does not have serious goals, rather it is being built in order to show people on the Russian YouTube that building a fast enough turbo motorcycle is not difficult and not expensive, so the budget is quite limited for this reason.

IMG_20220102_1734285.jpg

IMG_20220102_2058472.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the info. Yes, I also have an intercooler from a Volvo 740, it is thin, but huge, and looks like it is not efficient).
Of the 50mm thick intercoolers, I also found from Hilux and audi Q7 4.0l, but they have a great height, which probably does not make sense due to the limited space at 1100.

What do you think about the turbo for these purposes? I haven’t come across the turbos of these old GSXRs yet, so there’s no experience with them.
At the moment I am considering Chinese copies of TD05-16G DSM, and GT 2860 and 2871. Power planned to get from the wheel is about 250 hp. The pressure is not higher than 1 bar.  I need to get good acceleration for 100-200 (below 3 seconds), 200-250km\h.

TD05 I like more in the layout plan, because the wastegate actuator is located at the bottom, not at the back. Otherwise, I don't really like this turbine)

Edited by Pasis

I think lowering the IC should be relatively easy. I guess you have to modify the end tanks any ways?

All of those turbos should be good for that power. I don't have too many comparison results between those but I think the GT28xx should spool up a bit earlier than the TD05. At least if the Garrett copies are close to original quality. For example here is comparison between gen2 Busa (1340cc) with a chinese TD05-16 and gen1 Busa (1300cc) with genuine GT2871R. The maximum boost is about the same on both, about 0.9-0.95 bar. The gen1 was also intercooled and running on E85 which probably explains most of the power difference. But I think those should have only minor effect on spool-up.

Gen2_vs_Gen1IC_crop.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, the side tanks in any case need to be made new. It seems that the issue with the intercooler has been resolved.
It remains to choose a turbo).
By the way, the 1052 crankcase, without boring, cannot be work with the 1127 block because of the enlarged cylinder sleeves?

On 1/3/2022 at 11:47 AM, Pasis said:

Yes, the side tanks in any case need to be made new. It seems that the issue with the intercooler has been resolved.
It remains to choose a turbo).
By the way, the 1052 crankcase, without boring, cannot be work with the 1127 block because of the enlarged cylinder sleeves?

Evening I have a 1052 engine with bored out cases to accept 1127 barrels 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, slabbyfaceddean said:

Very budget build. The other side of being budget is time it takes to wait for parts to come available or be self manufactured,2 years and still going.

20210403_145501.jpg

Approximately how much metal should be removed in the crankcase? About 2mm?
Your project looks great! I will also be using a fuel injection system.
I hope to complete this project in 4 months, since I have most of the details for the project in stock.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:18 AM, Pasis said:

Thanks for the info. Yes, I also have an intercooler from a Volvo 740, it is thin, but huge, and looks like it is not efficient).
Of the 50mm thick intercoolers, I also found from Hilux and audi Q7 4.0l, but they have a great height, which probably does not make sense due to the limited space at 1100.

What do you think about the turbo for these purposes? I haven’t come across the turbos of these old GSXRs yet, so there’s no experience with them.
At the moment I am considering Chinese copies of TD05-16G DSM, and GT 2860 and 2871. Power planned to get from the wheel is about 250 hp. The pressure is not higher than 1 bar.  I need to get good acceleration for 100-200 (below 3 seconds), 200-250km\h.

TD05 I like more in the layout plan, because the wastegate actuator is located at the bottom, not at the back. Otherwise, I don't really like this turbine)

I have a Chinese td05 16g, and I'd recommend a td04 instead. my td05 takes a hot minute to spool up, and isn't the best build quality. It also required me to source an outlet to be bolted onto the compressor housing in order to  fit the charge pipe. The Hot side inlet is a different shape than most other turbos too, (if you're using the DSM clone like me) so future upgrades to ball bearing is limited without modifying or replacing the manifold. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, rerb said:

I have a Chinese td05 16g, and I'd recommend a td04 instead. my td05 takes a hot minute to spool up, and isn't the best build quality. It also required me to source an outlet to be bolted onto the compressor housing in order to  fit the charge pipe. The Hot side inlet is a different shape than most other turbos too, (if you're using the DSM clone like me) so future upgrades to ball bearing is limited without modifying or replacing the manifold. 

Thanks for the advice, yes, I considered this particular turbine, as a friend offered me a Chinese copy of the same model but with a Subaru flange.
But at the moment I think that the Chinese gt2871 would be a more suitable option, it is better suited in terms of characteristics and has more standard flanges and layout.
I am afraid that the TD04 will have insufficient performance for this project.
I have absolutely no experience with Chinese turbines, in the past I have always used the original Holset and Garrett turbos, but the essence of this project is budget, and most of the original turbos do not fit into it on budget. In addition to the same models of Holset  HX30  turbos, but it seems to me that it is also not very well suited in terms of characteristics, they are slightly excessive for this project.

40 minutes ago, Pasis said:

I am afraid that the TD04 will have insufficient performance for this project.

Bit of a broad, all encompassing statement considering you are 'only' shooting for 250hp ! ! !  'TD04', is only a family name for many variants and like most turbo's, the turbine & compressor sides can be changed and varied to produce a myriad of outputs and responses! I'm sure there are 'TD04's' that have produced in excess of 300hp - maybe not in ideal conditions but proves that one should not to be so dismissive - hell, an old T3 Garrett can be pushed to 250hp easy enough!

4 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Bit of a broad, all encompassing statement considering you are 'only' shooting for 250hp ! ! !  'TD04', is only a family name for many variants and like most turbo's, the turbine & compressor sides can be changed and varied to produce a myriad of outputs and responses! I'm sure there are 'TD04's' that have produced in excess of 300hp - maybe not in ideal conditions but proves that one should not to be so dismissive - hell, an old T3 Garrett can be pushed to 250hp easy enough!

I am aware that there is td04-20с).
Any examples of projects with TD04 on this engine, which makes about 250HP at a boost up to 1 bar?