2000 Bandit 1200 Engine Build questions

rider384

Hi all, getting tired of ~220ish whp on a stock engine and would like to build my engine for 400+. Not to be useable, but because I want to. As far as I understand, I'll be well past the limits of the stock rods so upgrades are in order. 

What I'm primarily wondering about are the differences between all the 1157 engines that came in Bandits - the brand I'm looking at is Maxspeedingrods, because they're cheap, but they list them as being for '96-'98 Bandit 1200s and '93-'98 GSX-R1100s. I know someone I trust who is running them on a 2000 model year, but I just want to confirm that, at least in theory, they'll work. 

Here's the specs straight from the manufacturer:

"Dimensions: Center to center length: 117mm; Big end diameter: 41mm; Small end diameter: 20.02mm ( tapered small end); Big end width: 21mm; Small end width: 21mm"

I am worried about the big end diameter - from what I've found online, there are 3 different sizes that came in 1157 engines, but I can't find what those sizes are. Can anyone confirm and tell me which diameters came in which engines/years?/

I would like to avoid Hayabusa rods as that's a much more expensive (albeit proven) route. I have fixed, turbo'd, and fuel injected this bike for less than $2,500usd including the cost of the bike - it's an experiment in cheapness, I'm not looking to debate the efficacy of cheap parts or the risks associated with them. 

Thanks

13 hours ago, rider384 said:

the brand I'm looking at is Maxspeedingrods, because they're cheap, it's an experiment in cheapness, I'm not looking to debate the efficacy of cheap parts or the risks associated with them. 

You've answered your own question then as regards reliability and suitability!

I've never heard of different BE 'sizes' other than alternative bearing fits due to grinding,  journal sizing is just like any normal rod / main bearing !

They aren't Carillo's and will unlikely to be any worse than stock so what's to loose?

Thanks for the advice guys! I think say what now!? hit the nail on the head, I was confused because of the different bearing size offerings from Suzuki. Clive, I went with APR2000 bolts. I know those were popular in the Miata community, are they acceptable at higher RPM and load? 

I ended up ordering the Maxpeedingrods after reading a couple good reviews and seeing people make some big power with them. 

On 1/3/2022 at 5:23 AM, rider384 said:

Thanks for the advice guys! I think say what now!? hit the nail on the head, I was confused because of the different bearing size offerings from Suzuki. Clive, I went with APR2000 bolts. I know those were popular in the Miata community, are they acceptable at higher RPM and load? 

I ended up ordering the Maxpeedingrods after reading a couple good reviews and seeing people make some big power with them. 

Where did you order rods from? I can’t find any in stock anywhere online. 

18 hours ago, Svsam said:

Where did you order rods from? I can’t find any in stock anywhere online. 

I ordered them straight from their website, maxpeedingrods.com

There was also a couple sets available on Eblag (USA) a couple days ago, but they were about $30 more than what I paid on their website. If you order from the website the coupon code "SUB13" saved me $20. 

• Like 1