Motor choice

rodneya

Got an opportunity to buy a new motor and have two options. EFE motor with 1200 kit and cams ( cant remember what the guy mentioned at the moment) or a 1127 oil cooled motor from a late 80's say what now!? and looking for some opinions.

Motor may go into my Katana, or a future project. And yes I would like both, but I dont think I can swing that at the moment.

16 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

the oil cooled motor is my favourite engine but are 10 a penny and you could get one anytime, the EFE engine though is getting almost impossible to fine so strike while you can. :tu 

In the UK maybe, but in Canada there are not that many that I have seen for sale. Water cooled motors are a different story.

2 hours ago, baldrick said:

or another £1000+ minimum, to put said cams and big bore kit into efe yes?

and its still 3 stone heavier.....

Unless I'm reading the OP wrong - the EFE comes with the cams and 1200 kit fitted so no additional expenditure and 'comparable' power but much torquey ! I do love the Oil boilers but a Kat deserves the OSS anchor!

• Like 2

For me it comes down to what you want from the finished bike.

If it's performance first and foremost then it should be the oil cooled lump as they're lighter and have more power 'out of the box' so any additional spend will be give gains from a higher starting point so the cost per increase over original will be lower.

If it's 'coolness' then you go for the air cooled. Air cooled lumps will arguably look better in the frame, and you don't need a ruddy great radiator hanging off the front of the frame.

If you want coolness and performance then get ready to be poor. xD

• Like 3