Gs1000 ignition recommendations

R1guy

I’m after an ignition for my gs1000 track bike and looking into my options. 

Engine spec- looking to get a Grumpy race spec build, courtesy of a “favour” I’m owed.

Opinions/experiences welcomed.

•Dyna2000- tried and tested but expensive. Got one on my other gs1000 . No complaints but looking to explore other options.

•Dyna S- ok but doesn’t have a built in limiter . Once I’ve purchased the limiter box it becomes expensive.

•Boyer Brandsen- price looks ok, but my mate reckons they are fragile? And basic.

•Ignitech- good reviews. Is it too much tech for an old gs1000 donk?

•alternative not mentioned above?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Ignitech unit they do different versions i have three now and would recommend them 

I would not recommend boyer not very reliable 

I believe the dyna s is now discontinued also has become unreliable so I have been told, this seemed to coincide with manufacturing being shifted to Mexico

dyna 2000 fine but quite expensive for what you get 

Edited by Markz9
Spelling
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Markz9 said:

Ignitech unit they do different versions i have three now and would recommend them 

I would not recommend boyer not very reliable 

I believe the dyna s is now discontinued also has become unreliable so I have been told, this seemed to coincide with manufacturing being shifted to Mexico

dyna 2000 fine but quite expensive for what you get 

What Mark said.

Highly recommend Ignitech. Have them on all my bikes. they have different versions for all applications. the basic version for a 4stroke is alot cheaper than a Dyna (which are shit in my opinion) and has an adjustable rev limiter and iginition curve.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, Kamikaze said:

What Mark said.

Highly recommend Ignitech. Have them on all my bikes. they have different versions for all applications. the basic version for a 4stroke is alot cheaper than a Dyna (which are shit in my opinion) and has an adjustable rev limiter and iginition curve.

Well lad, just doing some digging here, tell me more about your preference for Ignitech over Dyna, I was away from class and missed that lesson, I remember Boyer and then Dyna being the next go to ignition. I want to get rid of the points on the gs1000 and thought I would ask you first. ;)

3 minutes ago, 370steve said:

fitted to my GS1157 (bandit motor) but i think they do a GS box or program

OK, thanks for that, I have to get rid of the points but I want to make sure that I get the right bits, ie. if I need to change regulator /rectifier, coils, points plate etc. Lots to learn. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, denisd said:

Well lad, just doing some digging here, tell me more about your preference for Ignitech over Dyna, I was away from class and missed that lesson, I remember Boyer and then Dyna being the next go to ignition. I want to get rid of the points on the gs1000 and thought I would ask you first. ;)

Well for one, ive had a coil burn out on me at the track...That cost me enough in itself, but with a 600mile round trip and 2 trackdays booked the following days. I lost more than enough cash.

But after cutting and pulling apart the heavy duty polymer casing on the coil i found the connection to the tension leads from the internals was as thick as ur hair....fucking rubbish. All that insulation to cover something smaller than a hair follicle. WTF...!!!!!

Second was the dyna ignition rattled itself to bits even thou it was cushioned and wrapped. Waste of my fucking time, second one thats done it to me now. I couldnt belive it. Its not like the racetrack is bumpy the like the road for fucks sake....so whether this has anything to do with production moving to Mexico i have no idea but i will never buy that crap again.

For less money i bought stick coils, a Ignitech ECU, ignition pick up and a qik shifter. They are designed specific to tailor for 2 strokes, 4 strokes and 2 or 4 or 6 cylinders. Age does not matter, they have or can make connection for most bikes. You can request the original ECU plug so its a simple plug and play unit. 

You download the map program from their website and can order all the bits and pieces u require...eg: spare electrical connections, qik shifters, different size tie rods for the gear lever, temp sensors, lambda sensors, TPS sensors and attachments, ignition pick ups for various bikes, Harness/loom cable, pulse rotors, shift lights......everything u need to rewire ur existing set up.

And with the pick ups they have u can pretty much convert any bike to electronic ignition. I havnt had a single problem with them or their products.

Im on my way to converting the track bike to electronic ignition....i kept it with Dyna coils to comply with classic racing regulations, all it means now is im eligible for points and championship standings. which is fine cause i wasnt going to have time to compete in all the races anyway.

Hope this helped.

• Like 3

I've got 2 Ignitech TCIP4s on other Italian L-twin bikes and could not recommend them highly enough.  Just watch that you use the correct matched coils (or stock) and don't have too many resistive elements in the plug leads, caps etc.  Both Ignitech units were purchased direct from Ignitech - they were helpful and responsive.  Fully programable timing and rev limiter if needed.  The only negative I find is the old serial cable connector - make sure you order with the Ignitech.  I would definitely go this way again with my Kat if/when needed.

• Like 1

Never used a ignitech so can't say anything about them.

Got a Dyna S on my gs1000 and has been on it for must be 15+ years with no problems ( just jinxed myself xD) running with Dyna green coils.

Got a Dyna 2000 on my gsx1127 powered kat with green coils, did have to send that back for a repair after about a year but Dyna repaired if FOC but since then it's been on the bike for about 8+ years with no problems. 

Each to there own, it's like the Dyna carb kits some like them some hate them ;)

• Like 1