Float height

2scars

So I am coming to that stage with these BST38s.  When I went to get everything reinstalled, it's like the float needles are too short or something.  I can’t get the floats to do anything but bottom out.  Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?  I replaced everything with the Litetek kit.

7ED44C02-6DD7-4010-B56A-D7BFFFD00D1D.jpeg

Edited by 2scars
misspelling
14 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Bend the tap that holds the float needle to adjust to the correct height. 

I have, in both directions to see if I was doing it wrong.  There doesn't seem to be enough adjustment in them.  After reading how to do it, it seemed pretty straight forward.

16 minutes ago, Mike711 said:

Have you checked the new needle valves are the same as the OE ones?

They are the same ones that were in there.  I checked them against another set of needle and seats that I have from a second set of carbs laying around.  

• 2scars changed the title to Float height
25 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

are you holding the plastic housing down ? and are the float valve springs being compressed ? tilt the carbs when setting the height. 

Yeah, that is what I was was getting wrong.  That and trying to do it in the kitchen while I have a sick kid in the house.  Wrapped my mind around it again out in the shed while my daughter was eating lunch and presto.  Thanks for helping me reseat my brain gents!!

• Like 1

One more for this carb thread, the carbs I have also have UK spec jet needles in them.  Which position would be a good starting point in a stock arrangement?  I think it must have had a treatment similar to, or in fact from, Factory Pro.  I took out 147.5 main jets and the needles were at the second slot from the top.  I put in US spec 127.5 mains and left the needles on the second clip position from the top.

Thanks, I'm clearly new to these 'Zukis.