Rattling carbs….. help needed !!!

Spelli

It looks like I might have dropped a big boo boo !!!

After cleaning out my rather gummed up Mikuni cv carb bodies  in an ultrasonic cleaner two of them now rattle. 

It sounds to me like I might have dislodged an internal brass blanking ball and it is now rolling freely from side to side in some internal channel.

That is what it sounds like, ( I am desperately hoping I am wrong ) Does that sound reasonable or is there another explanation ?

Could this process be reversed to use heat from the ultrasonic to drop it back into place? or am I ( hopefully ) barking up the wrong tree ?

What do you think ? I am appealing to the great and good, Please Heeeelp !!!

1870169956_picofcarbbody.thumb.jpg.5a17fd585f8f2bbba382b3cfcdf6ca9e.jpg

855682728_Carbplug.thumb.jpg.92083eb54148547337befdf93ddfbee3.jpg

I maybe wrong, but shouldn't there be a brass ball plug here ^^^ ?

An Ultrasonic will not have caused that - unless it was ridiculously loose to start with ! And no, an ultrasonic won't get hot enough to either re-seat it or get it out! They are usually oversize for the drilling and force fitted from outside!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

855682728_Carbplug.thumb.jpg.92083eb54148547337befdf93ddfbee3.jpg

I maybe wrong, but shouldn't there be a brass ball plug here ^^^ ?

An Ultrasonic will not have caused that - unless it was ridiculously loose to start with ! And no, an ultrasonic won't get hot enough to either re-seat it or get it out! They are usually oversize for the drilling and force fitted from outside!

Thanks for the input say what now!?. 

Yes there is a brass plug in there it is just set quite deep but it is there. 

I am pleased you think I might be wrong about the loose plug. 
Any ideas what the rattle could be???

It really does sound like a ball rolling from side to side Inside the body. 
if you tip the carb front to back there is no rattle but if you tip it side to side the noise is clear to hear. 

I believe the body at this point is completely dismantled apart from the butterfly shaft which I would rather leave Undisturbed if poss. ( Worried about the butterfly screws coming loose and dropping into the engine)

I am holding the shaft in place as I am rocking the carb so there is no movement there to cause the rattle. 

apart from rebuilding the carb and seeing if it runs I am not sure what else to do. 
just hoping for some inspiration.

Edited by Spelli
Error

You have the carbs dismantled and the ball hasn’t fallen out yet.  You might have to run them on the bike and see what happens.  I don’t think I ever was warned about a certain carb taking out a cylinder because it spit out a blanking plug, but I suppose it’s possible.  Good luck