Substitute for Loctite Lock N Seal 2114

Mike-Polito

Hello - 

I have a 1979 GS425 and I am rebuilding the motor, following the shop manual.

As I begin the bottom end rebuild, the chapter starts with "...use Loctite Lock N Seal 2114 on all fasteners..."

I don't see this available anywhere.  Is there a modern substitute for this? Is the intent to "lock" the fastener (like the red or blue Loctite) or to prevent the threads/fastener from seizing? I see products available as anti-seize...silver...copper, etc.

Can someone please advise me what I should use?

Thanks - 

Mike

Thanks for the replies, but I am still not clear on the intent in the shop manual.

Loctite makes numerous products, including the permanent (red), semi-permanent (blue), as well as anti-seize (silver and I think, copper).

I am confused because I have seen many 8-cylinder automobile engines (drag race cars) rebuilt and the folks do not use the red or blue Loctite on the fasteners.

This is my first motorcycle engine re-assembly, and I have not seen it done (other than my shop manual). 

My shop manual is from 1979 and the Loctite product they recommend is discontinued, so I need help understanding the manual’s terminology and intent.

Mike

Competition vehicles and Drag orientated machinery in particular get torn down so regularly that any fastener used is unlikely to vibrate loose over time, if super critical, Loc-Wire is preferred for speed and ease and visual inspection.

The Loctite product used will be either a semi permanent thread lock ie. for things like cylinder studs into crankcase - these are very rarely touched but need a firm hold so semi-permanent product used, others would be rubber inlet stubs to cylinder head screws etc. Other fixings that will be subject to vibration but will be undone more frequently ie. during services - Points covers, clutch covers etc. would use a weaker blue thread loc.

Personally i've never used ANY permanent thread loc - always Blue stuff if used at all - actually quite rarely. I will however use either copper slip or moly slip greases on most fasteners where steel is against aluminium or steel in cast iron - basically as an anti seize which is far more important in my view!