Ignitor issue? GSX1000 Kat engine

ApocWarrior

I think my assessment is correct but interested in feedback.

Complete motor and harness from a 1982 Katana 1000.

Had tank off and key on, smelled something. Touched left coil and hot as hell. Turned off key.

Used volt meter at battery.

Unplugged both coils, tuned on ignition. No drain. Plugged in right coil leads, no drain, plugged in left (1-4) coil and instantly dropped voltage over 1 volt.

I unplugged crank sensors, same result.

With everything plugged in and key on drops volt as seen, then unplug ignitor lead, load disappears.

Assuming ignitor bad since it only drops voltage on left coil.....your thoughts or if you've seen this before.

IMG_20211110_203017675.jpg

Edited by ApocWarrior
Tpyo

Yes, sounds like faulty ignitor. But to be sure you can still try to crank the engine few revolutions while everything is connected and see if that changes the results. If I recall correctly the ignitor may keep one coil constantly on like that if the crank stops at some specific position.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Arttu said:

Yes, sounds like faulty ignitor. But to be sure you can still try to crank the engine few revolutions while everything is connected and see if that changes the results. If I recall correctly the ignitor may keep one coil constantly on like that if the crank stops at some specific position.

I knew points ignition caused problems, but I've never heard of that with electronic.

I'll rotate the motor and try again. I'll let you know what happens.

Up to now been using stock old  coils .

I'll probably put the dyna coils on.

I like posting odd occurences, surely someone later will have a similar issue.

1 hour ago, TonyGee said:

i remember seeing this problem many years ago, turned out to be the coil.  not saying this is your problem though. 

I replaced the coil still had same voltage draw. I said screw it and fired the bike up with one dyna coil runs fine, synched and tuned  carbs.

Turned off bike and both coils felt fine.

In hindsight, it is possible to have an energized coil with an ignitor. My other coil was probably breaking down and couldn't handle being energized for 4-5 minutes. I'm also assuming either 1-4 or 2-3 will be energized with key on before starting 

Thanks for taking time to check it out. Sometimes a member will say something that keeps you on track.

3 hours ago, ApocWarrior said:

In hindsight, it is possible to have an energized coil with an ignitor. My other coil was probably breaking down and couldn't handle being energized for 4-5 minutes. I'm also assuming either 1-4 or 2-3 will be energized with key on before starting

Can't remember exact details since it's pretty long time since I have played with the stock ignition system. But I remember for sure that sometimes either of the coils was staying energized while key was on and engine not running. I'm not sure but I think sometimes both of the coils may stay off depending on how the crank has turned. Any way, the coils will get pretty hot if they stay energized for several minutes. I don't know how easy it is to burn the coils this way but I would try to avoid long key on / engine off periods just to be safe.

• Like 1
On 11/12/2021 at 12:42 AM, Arttu said:

Can't remember exact details since it's pretty long time since I have played with the stock ignition system. But I remember for sure that sometimes either of the coils was staying energized while key was on and engine not running. I'm not sure but I think sometimes both of the coils may stay off depending on how the crank has turned. Any way, the coils will get pretty hot if they stay energized for several minutes. I don't know how easy it is to burn the coils this way but I would try to avoid long key on / engine off periods just to be safe.

Clicked like but mean to say appreciate the info.

• 1 month later...