GS1000 1978 smaller rear caliper

Wanting to change the huge rear caliper for something smaller like the brembo picture attached, appreciate I may require a different bracket and disc. Just wondered if anyone had done this .Also consider underslung caliper but unsure how this possible without torque arm. 

shopping.webp

20211019_140332.jpg

Edited by Highwaystar
Miss spelt word
22 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

the later calliper brackets are shorter than the older GS/GSX brackets as far as i know so the calliper will sit too low unless you fit a smaller disc. 

interesting bike though, can we see the full thing ? 

I will post some pics soon, I hope to have new paintwork back next week, also front brake upgrade ready to fit. 

• Like 2

To fit a smaller lighter caliper is not going to be easy.

First, the later (say gsxr) calipers I believe have different bolt hole spacing and sit at a different distances (wheel bearing face to hanger).

You could make a new hanger to take all this into account and then fit any caliper you like, just check the distance from the Spock's to where the back of the caliper will sit to make sure you have the clearance.

The torque arm is the easy part. Ever weld a new mount on the swing arm or get a early gsxr torque arm that can be bolted to your frame and then to the caliper, then you can have it underslung.

4 minutes ago, wraith said:

To fit a smaller lighter caliper is not going to be easy.

First, the later (say gsxr) calipers I believe have different bolt hole spacing and sit at a different distances (wheel bearing face to hanger).

You could make a new hanger to take all this into account and then fit any caliper you like, just check the distance from the Spock's to where the back of the caliper will sit to make sure you have the clearance.

The torque arm is the easy part. Ever weld a new mount on the swing arm or get a early gsxr torque arm that can be bolted to your frame and then to the caliper, then you can have it underslung.

Thanks,,I will look into it

I have something like that on my GS1000. Check this pic, i do not have more detailed pics atm.

The disc is off a H**da MB5 and has 3 holes located correctly ; afaik (did not make this setup myself)

all that's needed is placing the old GS disc on top and drill the other 3 holes.

The bracket is a straight plate positioning the caliper over the disc by 2 spacers on either side on the axle.

GS1000.jpg

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 3
On 10/27/2021 at 12:15 PM, Rijko said:

I have something like that on my GS1000. Check this pic, i do not have more detailed pics atm.

The disc is off a H**da MB5 and has 3 holes located correctly ; afaik (did not make this setup myself)

all that's needed is placing the old GS disc on top and drill the other 3 holes.

The bracket is a straight plate positioning the caliper over the disc by 2 spacers on either side on the axle.

GS1000.jpg

That looks ace, like the bike too

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, Highwaystar said:

On this subject I decided to stay with the original caliper but trim away all access metal to stream line it. Also did same with bracket

20211204_110840.jpg

20211204_110858.jpg

20211204_141908.jpg

Very neat, are you using the OE master cylinder & does it work ok? I fitted a 16mm clutch cylinder on the left handlebar to operate the back brake & it's probably better than the front!