750 engine weight

DuckNorris

I seem to remember clearly that there is 8 kilos difference between the 1100 and the 750 engine

The 750 frame is lighter, the forks are shorter (i think ?) Different oil capacities etc

It all adds up.

No way can there be 20 kilos difference just in the engine if you think about it seriously ?

Edited by Joseph
2 minutes ago, Joseph said:

8 kilos difference between the 1100 and the 750 engine

The 750 frame is lighter, the forks are shorter (i think ?)  

It all adds up.

No way can there be 20 kilos difference just in the engine if you think about it seriously ?

I'm not saying there is 20 kilos difference between the engines, especially not that the 1100 is 20kg lighter than the 750. I was saying that your guess for the 750 seemed high based on what others have said about the 1100. 

13 minutes ago, DuckNorris said:

I'm not saying there is 20 kilos difference between the engines, especially not that the 1100 is 20kg lighter than the 750. I was saying that your guess for the 750 seemed high based on what others have said about the 1100. 

There is 8 kilos difference between a 750 and 1100. I can't remember where i read that but it was a legit source and i have a good memory for figures.

The difference is down to heavier crank, clutch, rods, pistons, sleeves, block  in the 1100

A 1998-99 Yamaha R1 is probably the smallest most compact liter bike engine. And on top of it's small size is built with lots of magnesium, nikasil alloy sleeves etc. Very nice stuff.

That weighs around 72-75 kilos, and i know that because i had one in my Bond Bug and it was around 15 kilos less that the whole Reliant lump and box.

Bear in mind, that the oil boiler was built with absolutely no attention to size or weight, with no special alloys or metals whatsoever, and with steel liners, and a massive gearbox.

And 90-95 kilos starts to sound realistic, especially when you try to pick one up by yourself 

But that is also why, contrary to tge aforementioned R1, the oil boiler is bulletproof and good for 200 000 miles of raw abuse

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 1

8kg difference in the engines would be about right i reckon, but do we take the 1100 as 75kg as online says which makes the 750 67kg or do we use 95kg for the 750 which makes the 1100 103kg. 

Your reasoning sounds right to me like. The weights I've seen for the 1100 do seem relatively light, just being on OSS lends some weight to the knowledge that's all.

Who knows eh! 

51 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

No worries shipmate,  the doctor says the hernia should pop back in O.o

Shipmate as a generic friendly address or you matelot? 

If it makes you feel any better, I have an EFE engine here to shift at some point and apparently they're at least 10kg more than your lump!